Unread count incorrect + no spell checking

Old February 25th 06, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
StainlessSteelRat

Default Unread count incorrect + no spell checking

Hi folks,

Over the years of using OE6, and having reinstalled a few times, I've found
on occasion that for no obvious reason the unread count of groups will be
incorrect. That is I've set the groups to synchronise, and I see an unread
count, but when I enter the group there are a different number of messages
there.

I would really like to avoid flattening OE6 and the news database I have to
fix it. Does anyone know of a workaround for this bug?

Also spell checking has gone crazy. I click on spell check, and it says all
is OK. But there can be several gross errors in the post. Can anyone help?

TIA

Old February 25th 06, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Виталий

проверка
"StainlessSteelRat" сообщил/сообщила в
новостях следующее: ...

Old February 25th 06, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

The unread message count that you see before entering a group is only an
estimate based on the message IDs. It will be thrown off by any unused IDs.

Spelling check will not work on parts of a reply interspersed between parts
of the original if spelling is set not to check quotes.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old February 25th 06, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Robert Aldwinckle

"StainlessSteelRat" wrote in message
Hi folks,

Over the years of using OE6, and having reinstalled a few times, I've found
on occasion that for no obvious reason the unread count of groups will be
incorrect. That is I've set the groups to synchronise, and I see an unread
count, but when I enter the group there are a different number of messages
there.

I would really like to avoid flattening OE6 and the news database I have to
fix it. Does anyone know of a workaround for this bug?

Use the troubleshooting log for news first to prove that there is a problem.
Often the case is that it's just that the server is sending an illogical "estimate"
and OE proving that it can do arithmetic. If that's the case there is nothing
you can do except ignore the symptom and hope that the server stops
sending such a response.

---

Old February 25th 06, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
StainlessSteelRat

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE wrote:
The unread message count that you see before entering a group is only
an estimate based on the message IDs. It will be thrown off by any
unused IDs.

What I find happens is that messages aren't being downloaded, so the unread
count is correct but the messages don't appear. This has happened two or
three times before over the last few years, on different news servers, so
I'm inclined to think there's some long term bug here.

Spelling check will not work on parts of a reply interspersed between
parts of the original if spelling is set not to check quotes.

Yep, I disabled this. It's set to check everything. In fact I ran spell
check manually and it told me all was OK when it wasn't. I typed in a bunch
of rubbish just to double check I wasn't going mad. Curiously though it
seems to be working again, so hopefully that was just a blip.

Old February 26th 06, 05:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"StainlessSteelRat" wrote in message

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE wrote:
The unread message count that you see before entering a group is only
an estimate based on the message IDs. It will be thrown off by any
unused IDs.

What I find happens is that messages aren't being downloaded, so the
unread count is correct but the messages don't appear. This has
happened two or three times before over the last few years, on
different news servers, so I'm inclined to think there's some long
term bug here.

Tools | Options | Read
Uncheck the option to download ### headers at a time. The operation of this
option is flaky.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old February 26th 06, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
StainlessSteelRat

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE wrote:
The unread message count that you see before entering a group is
only an estimate based on the message IDs. It will be thrown off
by any unused IDs.

What I find happens is that messages aren't being downloaded, so the
unread count is correct but the messages don't appear. This has
happened two or three times before over the last few years, on
different news servers, so I'm inclined to think there's some long
term bug here.

Tools | Options | Read
Uncheck the option to download ### headers at a time. The operation
of this option is flaky.

OK thanks, I'll try that. I'd set it back to the default as I'd been in some
hulking great groups for headers, like this one.