Inbox/Deleted files disappear

Old February 11th 06, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JC Anderson

Default Inbox/Deleted files disappear

This may have been addressed before, but I couldnt' find it if so.

This morning, I booted Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP and the contents of
the Inbox and Deleted were going. The Sent box is still there.

How can I recover, and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Thanks!
Old February 11th 06, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

JC Anderson wrote:
This may have been addressed before, but I couldnt' find it if so.

This morning, I booted Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP and the
contents of the Inbox and Deleted were going. The Sent box is still
there.

How can I recover, and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Thanks!

Why Mail Disappears:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Recovery tools:

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress is the best chance of recovery when run in disk mode if the
loss
happened during compacting. Also faster for large folders:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
before 100 closings.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.

A general warning if you don't want to lose your messages in the futu

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually
become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder
regularly. Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as
empty as is feasible.

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Old February 11th 06, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

JC Anderson wrote:
This may have been addressed before, but I couldnt' find it if so.

This morning, I booted Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP and the
contents of the Inbox and Deleted were going. The Sent box is still
there.

How can I recover, and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Thanks!

PS - Why would you want to recover mail from Deleted Items?

Old February 12th 06, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JC Anderson

Thanks for your suggestions.....I'll try all of them.

95% of my email is business related. I have, in the past, deleted some
messages only to later regret it. I should probably do better about saving
certain messages in Folders, rather than search through the Deleted folder
for them. But, I should probably backup my computers more often, record all
the serial numbers to things I own and lose 30 pounds too!!!

Thanks again!

Old February 13th 06, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

If you get my OETool program and OEQB, then you can backup with a single
button click.

see www.oehelp.com/OETool/

steve