OE expanded folders

Old January 31st 08, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default OE expanded folders

Hi folks
OE has suddenly started opening up all my folders eg I click on the
"Current" folder where I hold all my case folders, and all the
individual subfolders open.

It didn't do it before.

Has an update caused this?
How can I regain control of it?

Bye for now

Old February 1st 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Open the folders, or expand the tree so you see the subfolders/

Tools | Options | General. Uncheck: Automatically display messages with
unread messages.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old February 1st 08, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

wrote in message

Hi folks
OE has suddenly started opening up all my folders eg I click on the
"Current" folder where I hold all my case folders, and all the
individual subfolders open.

It didn't do it before.

Has an update caused this?
How can I regain control of it?

Bye for now

Thanks Bruce, but it was unchecked already
Norm
Old February 1st 08, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

wrote in message

Hi folks
OE has suddenly started opening up all my folders eg I click on the
"Current" folder where I hold all my case folders, and all the
individual subfolders open.

It didn't do it before.

Has an update caused this?
How can I regain control of it?

Bye for now

Thanks Bruce, but it was unchecked already
Norm

Let me see if I have this correct so far. In your folder tree, you have a
user created folder with a few user created subfolders under it. Does this
group of folders expand when you open OE, or only when you click on the main
user created folder, or when mail is checked, (Send & Receive)?

OK so far?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old February 1st 08, 10:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

Hi Bruce
In the folder tree, I have a user created folder with a few user
created subfolders under it. This group of folders expands when I
click on the main user created folder.
Seems erratic. If I close them all down with the "-" then reopen the
user created folder immediately, it doesn't expand.
Burt it will do it again next time I open OE.
Norm
Old February 1st 08, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

wrote in message

[...]

Do the folders ever open expanded when you open OE and were collapsed when
you closed OE, or only when you click on the main user created folder?

I would try a new Identity and import the messages. See if that makes a
difference. The messages will still be in the old identity so you don't have
to worry about that.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old February 1st 08, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your persistence. I hope you are sitting in sunnier climes
than our dank sleet and snow.
Yes, the folders that were collapsed when I closed OE did indeed open
expanded when I open OE again.
Norm
Old February 1st 08, 07:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

What I generally do to backup is copy to Outlook and save as a pst
file.
I'll try doing that then reloading to a different Identity. More
Sunday ... til then I have another life to lead ... see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SowJNSPXIuM ... that's me with the
accordeon.
Old February 1st 08, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I found this by mistake. I had one group of folders that would be expanded
every time I opened OE, even though they were collapsed when I closed it.

I deleted Folders.dbx for an entirely different reason, but noticed that I
no longer had the problem.

You may want to try a different identity, or delete Folders.dbx yourself.
Whichever you feel easier doing. Note the consequences of deleting
Folders.dbx. Not earth shattering, but requiring a little time getting back
in order.

Consequences of deleting Folders.dbx:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#deldbx

Make sure OE is closed when you delete it. This is the location of
Folders.dbx.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write down the location down and navigate to it
in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old December 23rd 11, 08:43 PM
Monocle Monocle is offline
Junior Member

PROBLEM:

The folders that were collapsed when I closed OE were expanded when I open OE again.

This problem had driven me mad for months. I wanted ALL my folders and sub-folders to be collapsed when I first opened OE.

I've found something that's worked for me and I'm so happy I had to tell someone even if they've fixed it now.

So what I did was:
1. Open up all folders, their sub-folders and their sub-sub-folders etc.
2. I then collapsed the deepest layer of sub-folders, closed and opened OE.
3. Then I collapsed the next layer of sub-folders, close and opened OE again.
4. Last I collapsed my main folders and closed OE.
5. When I opened up OE all folders and their sub-folders were collapsed and behaving just as they should.

Seems that for some strange reason the memory (.dbx or whatever) can't remember more than one layer deep.

Ho Ho Ho