Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!! (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/65762-will-not-display-contacts-wont.html)

Duncan Mullins January 25th 08 02:59 AM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

Hello -

Today the contacts in the Contacts pane disappeared. It just says "There
are no contacts to display". They are all still in my address book. Yes,
the little box to display contacts is checked. Also, if I enter a new
contact it still says "there are no contacts to display".

I created a new identity and tried to import my address book. The addresses
were displayed in the contact pane as they were importing, then suddenly it
said "There are no contacts to display" again while the import function was
STILL flying through the contact names. The import box finished and said it
was "successful". What in the world is happening?? I've heard about them
disappearing if you have more than 999 contacts, but I only have 968.

Any ideas out there?? Thank you for ANY help!

Bruce Hagen January 25th 08 03:18 AM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

You probably have more than 999. The AB is fickle. If you do a search for
*.wab (hidden) you will probably find an AB with more than 999. You need to
delete them in these files.

IMHO, the Contacts pane was for easy access when instant messaging. When I
want to send an e-mail, I simply click on the To and add the messages from
that *version* of the AB. Saves on folder tree real estate as well.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Duncan Mullins January 25th 08 05:13 AM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

Thanks, Bruce -

I did find a "USER.wab" file over 3MB in size that was modified this
evening. The "edited" wab I exported from OE to the desktop (after deleting
many names) with 968 contacts is only 882MB. How should I proceed? Delete
the huge file altogether and the address book within OE and try to import my
edited file again?

I tried to import the edited file earlier. It flew through the names and
said the import was successful but still "no contacts to display". Pardon
my ignorance, but I must be missing something simple! Please educate me.

Thanks again.

Duncan Mullins

PA Bear [MS MVP] January 25th 08 05:19 AM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

If you have more than 100 contacts, Contacts pane will appear blank.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Bruce Hagen January 25th 08 05:25 AM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

The size, (3MB), is of no consequence. Does /any/ WAB folder have more than
999 contacts? Did you do an Advanced search and include Hidden Files and
Folders?

Duncan Mullins January 25th 08 07:12 AM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

Bruce -

Yes, the search included hidden files & folders. I arrived at 968 contacts
in my edited wab file by counting 33 contacts displayed in a fully expanded
address book window and scrolling through. If there's an easier way to
tell, please tell me! At any rate I can only assume I deleted at least 31
addresses from the original file before backing it up to the desktop. So
one of the "other" wab files must contain over 999. Attached is a
screenshot of the search results. One of the backups on the desktop is
straight out of OE before deleting addresses, the other ("backup edit") has
the 968 contacts. "Backup 2" doesn't exist anymore.

What should I do next? Thank you for your patience and expertise.

Duncan

Ron Sommer January 25th 08 01:42 PM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

When you counted addresses, where you only counting addresses under one
Identity?
What about shared contacts?
In the Address Book, View, check Folders and Groups.
Shared contacts are also displayed in the Contacts List.
--
Ronald Sommer

Duncan Mullins January 25th 08 03:47 PM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

We have a winner!

Folders and Groups was already checked. The shared entries were a handful
of duplicates from the main identity. I wasn't aware that those counted as
separate contacts in the 999 figure. I deleted all the duplicates from the
shared book after I noticed they remained in the main book when deleted.
Boom! Contacts displayed again at 998.

I knew it was something simple! It didn't make sense to me that "shared"
addresses would could double in the total...oh well, who said MS was
logical? Thanks, Ronald.

Duncan Mullins

Ron Sommer January 25th 08 05:03 PM

Will not display contacts-won't display new contact-won't display imported address book-HELP!!

Glad you got it fixed.
I am sure that Bruce will be glad also.
--
Ronald Sommer