Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/6205-could-not-perform-operation-because.html)

Ninip January 19th 06 04:32 PM

could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed

Hi
I have WINXP Home SP2 with OE 6
Whenever I click on an e-mail link on a website, I get a pop up window with
the following message:

could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not
properly installed.

How do I fix this so that I can e-mail directly from their link. This
happens everytime.
Thanks in advance.

DGuess January 19th 06 04:46 PM

"Ninip" wrote in message
Hi
I have WINXP Home SP2 with OE 6
Whenever I click on an e-mail link on a website, I get a pop up window
with the following message:

could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not
properly installed.

How do I fix this so that I can e-mail directly from their link. This
happens everytime.
Thanks in advance.

START | Run
type in

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE" /REG

and press ENTER

If more than 400 characters in link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q182985/

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE January 19th 06 04:48 PM

"Ninip" wrote in message
Hi
I have WINXP Home SP2 with OE 6
Whenever I click on an e-mail link on a website, I get a pop up
window with the following message:

could not perform this operation because the default mail client is
not properly installed.

How do I fix this so that I can e-mail directly from their link. This
happens everytime.
Thanks in advance.

From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/defaultl.htm

Go to Start | Run and type this command, with the double quotes and spaces:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

and then make sure that OE is selected as the default mail program in both
IE and OE.

If that isn't enough, see this article:
"Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

You might also want to try this:

Restores OE to the E-mail clients list in Internet Options
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com