Server Error

Old January 13th 06, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mcp6453

Default Server Error

I have an XP machine with OE used to retrieve email from a POP box on a
shared Linux server. There are several POP accounts on that server, and
OE is able to download mail from all accounts, but one. It spits up a
server timeout error immediately (it doesn't wait for a timeout.)
Outlook on the same computer has no problem downloading email from the
problem mailbox. Magic Mail Monitor has no problem peeking into the box.
Outlook Express on another computer has no problem getting the email
from the box, so I don't think the problem is with the server.

I deleted and recreated the account in OE, but it did not help. Where
should I look next?
Old January 13th 06, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Have you checked the configuration on the linux server for that account?
Can you telnet to the server correctly?

You can find added Telnet instructions at:
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_san...pop3telnet.htm

Go to a command box and type the following:
telnet {pop3 server name} 110 - hit enter, don't type the brackets.
user {your username} - hit enter
pass {your password} - hit enter

There are various commands available:

list (will return all messages)
retr (whatever number will retrieve that message)
dele (+ number will delete that number message)

If telnet works, then something in the registry for the identity you are
using may be corrupted. Try creating a new identity, switch to it and set
up the problem account there and check it. If all works well, you can
either import your old messages from the previous identity or just use it to
download the problem account (though if there is some corruption, it may
soon render the identity totally unusable).
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old January 13th 06, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mcp6453

Jim Pickering wrote:
[...]

For the moment, the problem is solved. I deleted the account in the Main
Identity (again), created a new identity, added the POP account,
downloaded the messages successfully, and then deleted and recreated the
POP box on the server. I then switched back to the Main Identity,
imported the emails from the new identity, added the problem account
back into OE, and all is well.

Something deep down inside was not happy.

Thanks for your suggestions, Jim. I'll try them to become familiar with
them.
Old January 13th 06, 09:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Glad you now have it working and thanks for the feedback. For reasons we've
never been able to figure out, the "Main Identity" created by default in the
program is most prone to corruption perhaps due to its having an added key
in the registry that other identities do not have. You may have to create a
new identity again at some point in the future and import messages into it,
then delete the Main Identity. Good luck.