Outlook Express Import window

Old January 10th 06, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack

Default Outlook Express Import window

With OEQB, I am moving my OE 5.5 from a Win 98SE pc to a Win XP pc with OE
6. However, upon doing a Restore, I did not get the messages (or created
folders) for the identities other than Main Identity, but the other
identities are there to switch to.

Also, I notice that in Windows Explorer, C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local
Settings\Application Data\Identities\ there is only one identity listed --
in the Win 98SE pc, all the identities are listed.

Anyway, I decide to do an import of the files and folders into the other
identities which do show up in OE 6 on the Win XP pc.

However, the Outlook Express Import window ("Select an e-mail program to
import from") does not offer OE 5.5 as an option, although it does have OE 4
and OE 6 as options! What is my solution?

Jack

Old January 10th 06, 02:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Try using the OE6 option since the files are identical in format.

You should also read the caveat that Majik has on the website as follows:

" Outlook Express Freebie Backup has been taken offline. I am making changes
to the program and will reintroduce it at a later date. Meanwhile, Outlook
Express Quick Backup will remain online. The intent of the program remains
the same, to be able to backup a system's Outlook Express files and settings
in case of some unfortunate accident. It is not a program for transferring
OE from computer to computer unless you wish to do a bit of editing, which
can easily be done if you are savvy enough. If you just need to be able to
transfer the DBX files to another computer, it of course will back them up
so you can IMPORT then into the second system. "

For the purpose you have in mind, you should either use the method outlined
at this link:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/backup/index.htm
Or you could use the FAST wizard in Windows XP:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old January 10th 06, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

OE 6 and OE 5 both use dbx files.
OE 4 does not use dbx files.
--
Ron Sommer

Old January 10th 06, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack

Jim --

Thanks!

Jack