Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Lost All Folders in Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/5965-lost-all-folders-outlook-express.html)

[email protected] January 9th 06 10:58 PM

Lost All Folders in Outlook Express

I ran a registry cleaner program and after using it, when I opened
Outlook Express, my account and folders were gone. I did a search on
my harddrive for .dbx files and all my old files exist. I just don't
know how to get them back into OE. Thank you for the help. Is there
anyway to get my old signature back?

PA Bear January 9th 06 11:27 PM

Lost All Folders in Outlook Express

Why it happens:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/probl...s.htm#mailgone
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx

Recovering data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DBXtract
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXtend (additional functionality)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtend/Default.aspx

DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

OEX (OE Enhancement Program)
http://www.oehelp.com/OEX/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avoid Such Corruption in Futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Bruce Hagen January 9th 06 11:36 PM

Lost All Folders in Outlook Express

This **might** work. In Windows Explorer | Documents and Settings, right
click on the Outlook Express folder and Send To any place on your HD. My
Documents is fine. Right click on it there and make sure the Read Only
attribute is removed.

Open OE and create a new identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Now,
File | Import | Messages. Choose MS OE 6 and follow the prompts. If all is
well, you can delete the old identity.

If that doesn't work, then:

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress is the best chance of recovery when run in disk mode:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

oups.com...

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE January 10th 06 04:52 AM

Lost All Folders in Outlook Express

wrote in message
oups.com...
I ran a registry cleaner program and after using it, when I opened
Outlook Express, my account and folders were gone. I did a search on
my harddrive for .dbx files and all my old files exist. I just don't
know how to get them back into OE. Thank you for the help. Is there
anyway to get my old signature back?

Messages:
File | Import | Messages | Outlook Express 6
Choose the bottom option to import from an Outlook Express store directory.

Signatures:
They're gone unless your registry cleaner saved what it deleted.

Moral:
Don't ever, ever use a registry cleaner.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com