OE Stops Functioning Properly

Old October 19th 07, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
charmaen

Default OE Stops Functioning Properly

I previously posted - "OE seems to run fine for a while and then (and usually
when I try to delete an email) it does nothing after I click on the delete
button. When I go to another email, it comes up with a blank screen, cannot
display the message. If I go to another folder, I get nothing. I can close OE
and go back in again and it will again function for a while until everything
repeats."

I received the response to remove mail from all default folders, delete the
default dbx files, and compress all folders. I did this and things seemed ok
for a little while but the problem has occurred. The message I get is
'Message could not be displayed - OE encountered an unexpected problem while
displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk
space and try again."

I have tons of disk space and I don't understand why I would get the low
memory message as I have not have problems for the years I have been using
OE. Has something changed recently in OE? This problem first showed up a
little over a week ago.

Old October 19th 07, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Try and test a new identity and see if the problem persists. If it does,
then you're another victim of this.

This is a recent development that has yet to be figured out. Please monitor
this link for developments, but please don't add your problem to it. If a
fix is found, you will see it here or in this newsgroup.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7e7134d79fa319
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 20th 07, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"charmaen" wrote in message
[...]

Email scanning should be turned off in any anti-virus. Also exclude EML
files from the scan. It provides no
protection not provided by the regular resident protection.
Besides that, McAfee and Norton are not compatible with Windows Mail and
Outlook Express and should be uninstalled.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Old October 20th 07, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

McAfee is not the same program that it was years ago.

Drag an email message or save out of OE. It will be saved as an eml file.
--
Ronald Sommer

Old October 20th 07, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You need to replace it with another AV program, and not Norton.

I would suggest either Avast, (freeware), or NOD32, (not free).

In the case of Avast, choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.

Avast:

NOD32:
http://www.eset.com/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 27th 07, 11:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
charmaen

I followed your advice, got rid of McAfee and downloaded Avast. Everything
has been running ok so far. Thanks for your help. (I would have replied
sooner but was distracted with the fires here in San Diego.)

One last question, is anything protecting my email now? I heard something
about a problem with .pdf files as attachments causing problems.

Old October 28th 07, 01:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Avast protects you just as well as McAfee. Attachments are the #1 place that
you can get a virus from, but PDF files are not culprits on their own. If
you keep your AV up to date, and Avast does it automatically, you should be
fine. That said, even an attachment from a friend could contain a virus if
they received it and then forwarded it.

I don't want to scare you, just lay out the facts. I used AVG for a long
time and switched to Avast when I felt AVG was lagging in updates. I have
never got a virus of any type, and I have never had e-mail scanning enabled.

Turning off e-mail scanning is safe. See:

Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...ion.mspx#EOAAC

And this is from Symantec, but applies to all anti-virus programs.

From:
http://snipurl.com/bmf6

Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?

Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.

P.S. Note my sig. I haven't had flames knocking on my door, but I have had
smoke and ash from the Harris fire since it started. (And I have COPD).
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express