Outlook Express Sending but message still showing in outbox

Old July 28th 07, 09:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
CG[_2_]

Default Outlook Express Sending but message still showing in outbox

Something happened today with my email program.

I use Outlook Express 6.0 (XP SP2 IE7)

When I try and send an email with an attachment/document, the message
shows it is still in my outbox --- however

It shows that it is sending
It IS sending (because I cc'd myself) and I have talked to the
recipients
It isn't showing up in my Sent folder

This occurs whether it is an attachment from my computer or a
forwarded attachment.

After the email message box shows it was sent, I get this message from
OE:

Some errors occured while procesing the requested taxks.
Please review the list of errors below for more details.

The error box below is blank

When I send an email without an attachment, everything is fine. No
problems. The message goes out of the outbox and is in my sent
folder.

I have done the following things:
1) Turned off my virus scan outgoing mail (didn't fix it so turned it
back on)
2) Restarted the computer (several times)
3) System restore twice
4) Disk cleanup
5) Compacted my email folders

I work from home and have several email folders that I don't want to
lose and I don't know how to fix this and the majority of my work is
emailing documents to vendors and clients.

I am not comfortable or knowledgeable enough to edit the registry. I
don't even know how to save my emails outside of OE.

I am at a loss here.

Old July 28th 07, 11:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

From another post:
--
Ronald Sommer

Do the following for the Outbox, and if the problem persists, repeat for
Sent Items after you move any messages you wish to save to a local folder
you create.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in question {Outbox.dbx}
and delete it. A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"CG" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Something happened today with my email program.
:

Old July 28th 07, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
CG[_2_]

On Jul 28, 3:49 am, "Ron Sommer" wrote:
From another post:
--
[...]

"CG" wrote in message

ups.com...
[...]

Thank you so much! I deleted the outbox.dbx and now it works again!
Sent folder must not have been involved.

Old July 30th 07, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
CG[_2_]

On Jul 28, 3:49 am, "Ron Sommer" wrote:
From another post:
--
[...]

"CG" wrote in message

ups.com...
[...]

Well, today it did the same thing. I repeated the deleting the
outbox.dbx twice and same thing--so I deleted the sent.dbx and it's
still doing it and now it's doing it to all outgoing messages whether
they have an attachment or not.

Any more suggestions?

Old July 30th 07, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
CG[_2_]

On Jul 30, 9:33 am, CG wrote:
On Jul 28, 3:49 am, "Ron Sommer" wrote:

From another post:
--
[...]

"CG" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

Any more suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

UPDATE---I went to tools options and unchecked the keep a copy in my
sent folder and it's working; however I really, really
need to have a copy kept for work to show I sent it instead of having
to remember to CC or BC myself.

Old July 30th 07, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

"CG" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 30, 9:33 am, CG wrote:
On Jul 28, 3:49 am, "Ron Sommer" wrote:

From another post:
--
[...]

"CG" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

Was OE closed when you deleted the Outbox and Sent Items? They won't be new
dbx files if OE was open.

Did you turn off e-mail scanning? If you did, what AV are you using.
Sometimes it isn't enough to just turn it off. You may have to uninstall the
program and the reinstall in Custom Mode and opt out of e-mail scanning at
that point.

If all else fails, you may have a damaged identity especially if it is the
default Main Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one
and test it. If all is well, you can import your messages and Address Book
from the old identity and delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old July 30th 07, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
CG[_2_]

On Jul 30, 11:00 am, "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
"CG" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 30, 9:33 am, CG wrote:
On Jul 28, 3:49 am, "Ron Sommer" wrote:

From another post:
--
[...]

"CG" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

Imperial Beach, CA- Hide quoted text -

Yes, OE was closed when I deleted the .dbx folders.

I just checked and the sent folder isn't empty even though I deleted
it twice.

I am using Trend Micro/PC Cillin 2007 and disabled the email scanning.

I did start using Carbonite Back Up yesterday afternoon as a
protection in case my PC crashes so I have a backup of my documents
but I read that it doesn't back up emai programs.

Will adding a new identity affect my email settings?

Old July 30th 07, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

"CG" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 30, 11:00 am, "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
"CG" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 30, 9:33 am, CG wrote:
On Jul 28, 3:49 am, "Ron Sommer" wrote:

From another post:
--
[...]

"CG" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

If you deleted the Sent Items folder and it isn't empty, then you deleted
Sent Items for a different identity. Double check the path at Tools |
Options | Maintenance | Store Folder.

Creating a new identity will change your settings in Tools | Options back to
default, as well as the toolbars, etc. You will be entering your account
settings as you go.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old July 30th 07, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
CG[_2_]

On Jul 30, 12:09 pm, "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
"CG" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 30, 11:00 am, "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
"CG" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jul 30, 9:33 am, CG wrote:
On Jul 28, 3:49 am, "Ron Sommer" wrote:

From another post:
--
[...]

"CG" wrote in message

oups.com...
[...]

Bruce,

First of all THANK YOU for all your help.

I checked the identity by going to manage identity and there is only
one listed: Main Identity, so I don't see how there could be one that
is hidden.

I do see the Carbonite has put it's mark on my .dbx folders showing
they have been backed up (again). They use different colors so the
ones I deleted and OE restored have a yellow mark on them whereas the
ones I didn't delete have a green mark.

I will try adding a new identity tonight after work and pray I don't
mess something up and lose my OE program.

Question:

While browsing for a fix before I found this group, I saw a website
that had a tip on how to re-install OE. I did NOT try this as I was
afraid that I would lose my work folders. If I DO lose OE would this
work? And if so, what are the downsides?

Tip: Re-install Outlook Express - Click Start, Run and enter
%SystemRoot%\Inf. Locate the MSOE50.INF file. Right click it and
select Install.