Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Transfer of data (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/52591-transfer-data.html)

forceten32 July 16th 07 01:53 AM

Transfer of data

Five months ago I switched to a new computer. That computer has now gone
down and I'm back on the original computer, at least temporarily. Both
computers use XE andOE6. How do I transfer all OE files from the downed
computer to the one I'm now using? I want to add to all current files, not
replace since I've been using the current computer for a couple of weeks.

Since both computers have the same files older than 2/13/07, I realize that
from 2/13 backwards, I will wind up with duplicates of everything on the
current computer after I transfer - unless there is a way around this.

Thanks,

Fred

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM July 16th 07 02:25 PM

Transfer of data

"forceten32" wrote in message
Five months ago I switched to a new computer. That computer has now gone
down and I'm back on the original computer, at least temporarily. Both
computers use XE andOE6. How do I transfer all OE files from the downed
computer to the one I'm now using? I want to add to all current files,
not replace since I've been using the current computer for a couple of
weeks.

Since both computers have the same files older than 2/13/07, I realize
that from 2/13 backwards, I will wind up with duplicates of everything on
the current computer after I transfer - unless there is a way around this.

Backing up and Cloning your OE Identities
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/index.htm
and
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...pten.mspx#EBAA
Number 1
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Steve Cochran July 17th 07 12:21 PM

Transfer of data

Sort the messages by date or use Edit | Find to sort within a date window.
Then move all those found to a separate folder. Then when you do File |
Import | Messages only select those folders with the messages in those date
ranges. See www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4 and www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

Or you can import them all and then use OEX (www.oehelp.com/OEX/) to remove
the duplicates.

steve

forceten32 July 17th 07 01:30 PM

Transfer of data

Thank you. Do I assume correctly that when I backup to media and then
restore to a different computer, the messages being restored will be added
to the messages in an appropriate folder and not replace those currently
there?

Fred

Ron Sommer July 17th 07 06:34 PM

Transfer of data

Which method of transfer are you wanting to use?
Some methods add.
Some methods replace.
--
Ronald Sommer

"forceten32" wrote in message
: Thank you. Do I assume correctly that when I backup to media and then
: restore to a different computer, the messages being restored will be added
: to the messages in an appropriate folder and not replace those currently
: there?
:
: Fred
:
: "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: --
: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
: http://www.fjsmjs.com
:
:
:
:
:

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM July 18th 07 03:36 PM

Transfer of data

Correct. They will just add rather than replace as long as you don't
overwrite the DBX files currently in use. See the sites I mentioned.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com