OE auto-complete...

Old May 28th 07, 03:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Default OE auto-complete...

Auto-Complete is a little touchy in OE. Some things you can try is to alter
the Display names. You will have to play around.

A 1-display for home, and a 2-display for work, may help. Otherwise, I would
just surest clicking the To button in front of the Address field and select
the address from there.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"GO" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here has a tip or trick to make Outlook Express' auto
complete for addresses behave a little more to my liking. For many of my
address book contacts I will have two entries for the same person, one is
their personal address and the other a work address. It seems that
regardless of what I have for the name/display name it will always choose
the work address when auto-completing (I had originally planned on just
adding a secondary email address in the contact itself but OE makes it
difficult to extract/use the address when needed). Are there any tips,
tricks or work arounds to get OE to select the "personal" address first?

TIA,

Greg

Old May 28th 07, 05:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
GO

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I've played around with the display names
already but have had no luck as of yet. I appreciate your other two options
but neither are really practical. Prepending a '1' or '2' in front of the
contacts makes the auto-complete more awkward to use, and going to the
Address Book just adds needless steps. Granted they both would work, but
would still prefer someway to get my original idea to work. Are there any
guidelines/rules on how OE selects an address when you start typing in the
To field? As of now, I can't see a pattern.

Old May 28th 07, 05:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
GO

I've just been playing around with the auto-complete and I may have
uncovered how it works. It appears that one (and primary) search path is
based on the age of the record/contact. That is, whatever contact was
created first will be the first to show up as the auto-complete entry.
Example: if I were to enter a contact "Bob (work)" and then a second entry
"Bob (home)", "Bob (work)" would show up first when I start entering "Bob"
in the To field. I'm assuming this is a result of how the Address Book
(.wab) file is stored. They are probably stored like a text file with new
entries at the bottom and when OE needs to query the address list it starts
from the top down. I'm not 100% sure on this but it certainly seems like
the case. Can anyone confirm this?

Greg

Old May 28th 07, 08:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
...winston

Have you opened your address book *wab file in Notepad to compare it with Autocomplete.
One should be able to see how each field is field of data is stored and find a section for each category. The names are most likely grouped together, email addresses, and so on. Since OE's address book has less available columns(categories) than allowable records(rows) storing a column of data is probably quicker than storing rows.

I suspect that Autocomplete recall might function differently than the Address book storage method.
..winston

Old May 28th 07, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Robert Aldwinckle

"...winston" wrote in message

Have you opened your address book *wab file in Notepad
to compare it with Autocomplete.

That idea works best with an exported CSV copy of the wab. ; )

One should be able to see how each field is field of data is stored and find
a section for each category. The names are most likely grouped together,
email addresses, and so on. Since OE's address book has less available
columns(categories) than allowable records(rows) storing a column of data
is probably quicker than storing rows.

I suspect that Autocomplete recall might function differently than the
Address book storage method.

It seems to have to do with the Last name, First Name sort option
and whether quotes were ever used manually...

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Old May 28th 07, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Make the Display Names, e.g., DaveWork (or DaveW) and DaveHome (or DaveH).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

Old May 29th 07, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
GO

I wasn't making a direct comparison to how OE stores it's data versus the
auto-complete search routine, as I really have no idea how OE stores it's
data. I was thinking more logically, as if OE stores it's data in a flat,
unsorted text file with new entries appearing at the bottom, and when OE
queries the entries for the auto-complete routine it reads it from the top
down. And from my testing so far this definitely seems to be the case. My
most recent test was to create two entries: both with the first name "Test"
and Display Names of "Test 1" and "Test 2" (all other fields were blank).
When entering the word "test" into the To field, the entry that was created
first would be the first to be auto-completed.

Old May 29th 07, 03:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

You can create unique nicknames for the contacts. Autocomplete will
check those as well. I start my nicknames with a # so that they don't
accidentally match regular entry.

Old May 31st 07, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Guest

oi como vai

"GO" escreveu na mensagem