BellSouth and Yahoo Attachment problem

Old May 11th 07, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Default BellSouth and Yahoo Attachment problem

I've managed to get some samples of the problem messages. I had some
issues with my ISP's anti-virus on the mail server deleting the
attachments because it detected the virus 'Malformed container
violation' in the samples. But that's not why we are here.

The problem is caused by BellSouth's Anti-spam program. (surprise,
surprise)

What is happening, is that in Yahoo messages, the header as sent from
Yahoo ends:

The blank line above is critical since that it what indicates the end of
the message header and the beginning of the message body. The values
for the message id and boundary string will vary from message to
message.

After passing through the Bellsouth spam filtering, the header becomes:

The 3 lines X-Spam, X-MAIL-FROM: and X-SOURCE-IP: have been added, which
in itself is OK. But the blank line has gotten lost. Another curious
change is that a space has been added in the boundary string that was
after the message id after the =: and before the ending 5 digit number.
But that doesn't seem to bother Outlook Express. I don't know if that
would bother Outlook (I've had reports that Outlook users are having the
same problem. It's not confined to Outlook Express recipients).

If the Spam filter had inserted the headers correctly, it should have
been:

--0-2033325884-1178660436=:23778

A workaround for Outlook Express users is to save the message to an EML
file (File, Save As), open in Notepad and insert the missing blank line
after the X-SOURCE-IP header, then save and double click the EML file to
open. It can be also dragged back to an OE folder to save and the
original message deleted.

Two things I don't know at this point:

1) If the spam headers are inserted on the Bellsouth mail servers or
some software installed on the client's PCs. I suspect it's happening
on the mail server.

2) Why messages from Yahoo are affected but not others. It may be that
the headers are inserted after the message-id or it may be that the
other mail clients don't start the body with the boundary line, but have
some unimportant text there. For example, when Outlook Express sends a
message, it ends the header with

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C79333.5ADDF7E0

In that case, if the spam filter altered the headers to

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C79333.5ADDF7E0

It wouldn't matter to the recipient, since the "This is a multi-part
message in MIME format." is a comment.

At this point, pressure needs to put on BellSouth by their customers to
fix their buggy spam filter.

Old May 12th 07, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Nice catch. I have an account with them, but don't use their email much and
never from the web.

steve

Old May 12th 07, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

I've since heard from some BellSouth customers that BellSouth has
admitted to the problem and is working on it. We'll see how long it
takes to fix it.

Based on reports from some others, it seems that the colon in the Yahoo
boundary string is what's tripping up the Spam filter. It thinks the
boundary string is a header, even though it's in the body of the
message. That would also explain why the filter also inserted the space
after the colon since headers are of the format
xxxx: yyyy
It was trying to fix the "bad header" that wasn't really a header.

rant another example of anti-virus e-mail scanning and anti-spam
writers messing with things that they don't fully understand and making
them worse. /rant

Old May 15th 07, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

"Michael Santovec" wrote in message
I've since heard from some BellSouth customers that BellSouth has admitted
to the problem and is working on it. We'll see how long it takes to fix
it.

Based on reports from some others, it seems that the colon in the Yahoo
boundary string is what's tripping up the Spam filter. It thinks the
boundary string is a header, even though it's in the body of the message.
That would also explain why the filter also inserted the space after the
colon since headers are of the format
xxxx: yyyy
It was trying to fix the "bad header" that wasn't really a header.

rant another example of anti-virus e-mail scanning and anti-spam writers
messing with things that they don't fully understand and making them
worse. /rant

Its even worse in Vista.

steve

Old May 18th 07, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Beermaker

I'm having a similar problem with Outlook 2003 (and Bell South). I can
receive attachments in the BellSouth web mail, but not in Outlook. Any
thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated. This was not a problem until
about 1-2 weeks ago.

Old May 19th 07, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Michael Santovec

Based on messages that I've received from other Outlook users, the
attachment shows up in the message body as encoded text. In that case,
it is possible to use a 3rd party decoder to decode the attachment, but
it is a bit involved.

See the Decoding Mechanics section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm

I don't know how much you have been following this. The problem is
caused by a bug in the BellSouth spam filter that corrupts messages from
Yahoo. According to some other BellSouth customers, BellSouth has
admitted that the problem is on their end and are working on a fix.

Old May 19th 07, 03:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
[email protected]

--

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

[...]

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm- Hide quoted text -

During my examination of this issue, I have found some additional
mangling of the Yahoo mail header.
The line previous to the End Of Header blank line, is also missing:

FYI, The Message-ID: line is also added by Bellsouth.

As sent by Yahoo:

--0-1245986473-1179538270=:14599

As received from Bellsouth: