Outlook Express ~ Missing Posts.

Old April 18th 07, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Janet

Default Outlook Express ~ Missing Posts.

It may be coincidental, but, since I installed the last Microsoft Updates for
my Win XP PC., none of which were IE or OE, on 11th April 2007, I am mising
posts I have made to Yahoo Groups, and Rootsweb mailing groups. In both I
subscribe for individual mail receipts. My posts are arriving at the
website, but I am failing to receive the copies of my posts in the usual way.
I have not changed my OE6 configuration. It is set to leave a copy of the
post on the server for a number of days.
My ISP (Tiscali) states it is not their problem, all aspects of the service
running 100%. I have let Yahoo know about it.
I went back to a Restore Point i.e. 10th April, but it seemed to have slowed
up my PC. I have plenty of HD and Memory; might have been Avast! Anti Virus
that didnt like it.
Your advice would be appreciated. BTW I posted this to another Forum Windows
Updates and though I checked the box to Notify me of replies, I didnt get the
one response, and was referred here.
Old April 18th 07, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Janet

Thank you for your reply. In both Yahoogroups and Rootsweb, when one opts to
receive individual mails, one gets a "receipt" for one's post, a copy of it
after it has reached the server and the group. It is these copies that
suddenly have failed to turn up since 11th April 2007 when for many years
before I have been receiving them. I run several of my own Yahoogroups.

"N. Miller" wrote:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:34:00 -0700, Janet wrote:

[...]

Are you missing the locally stored email notices of posts? I don't know how
Rootsweb works, but YahooGroups has messages on their servers, and they
should only be removable by the Group owner.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,

Old April 18th 07, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Check your OE Deleted Items folder. If the receipts are getting trapped
by a Blocked Sender or Message Rule in OE, that's where they would
likely go.

Also check with your ISP's web mail to see if the receipts might be
getting trapped as spam there.

Old April 18th 07, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Janet

Many thanks for your interest. Done all of that, since 11th April. Prior
thereto everything was fine, going into filtered folders; nothing been
changed about that time.
I dont use gmail; I know own posts get trashed with that e-mail client.
Checked ISP's webmail. Deleted all records so that I could chart what was
happening. Interestingly a post I made from my ISP webmail to a Yahoo group
didnt get a receipt either. I dont like using webmail.
I am leaning toward an ISP fault, but they deny, so I'm up a gum tree.

Old April 18th 07, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Janet" wrote in message
news
Many thanks for your interest. Done all of that, since 11th April. Prior
thereto everything was fine, going into filtered folders; nothing been
changed about that time.
I dont use gmail; I know own posts get trashed with that e-mail client.
Checked ISP's webmail. Deleted all records so that I could chart what was
happening. Interestingly a post I made from my ISP webmail to a Yahoo
group
didnt get a receipt either. I dont like using webmail.
I am leaning toward an ISP fault, but they deny, so I'm up a gum tree.

Check with your ISP as to whether they're running an anti-spam service you
can opt out of.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

Old April 18th 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsupdate
PA Bear

Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup.

cf. Janet's thread in WU newsgroup:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...28d88fc6c856bd

Janet, to avoid duplication of voluntary effort, it'd be better if you had
crossposted replies to your thread in Windows Update newsgroup to this
newsgroup instead of beginning a new thread here.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

1. Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application and any anti-spam
applications.

2. If no joy, check the email account's web-mail page to see if the missing
messages are found there. If they're not, the problem is not OE or your
machine.

3. If you find the missing messages on the web-mail page, your current
Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main Identity. Try
one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity (File Identities
Add new identity). Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old
identity, (2) import messages from the old identity into the new one, and
then (3) delete the old one (File Identities Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

IN RE your post
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b5e2ca2de764cf

You need to get MS Office set-up properly. If you have no intention of
using MS Outlook, don't even install it. If MS Outlook isn't installed, do
not accept any OL Junk Mail Filter updates whatsoever:

Microsoft Outlook updates change the default mail handler to Microsoft
Outlook
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13
--
~PA Bear