DBX Folders & Security

Old February 26th 07, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
racerdog

Default DBX Folders & Security

Why does OLE create dbx folders with data after receiving junk mail? I
have my mail filters set to delete junk mail on arrival as well as
emptying the trash folder on exit. However, I'm noticing that the
database for the deleted.dbx and the outbox.dbx files are increasing
in size after receiving junk mail. Why? Is there a way to configure
OLE to stop increasing the size of these two dbx files?

Old February 26th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Compact your folders? The space taken up is not recovered until you do.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

oups.com...

Old February 26th 07, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

It used to be that if you set the Deleted Items folder to empty on exit
(Tools, Options, Maintenance), OE did an automatic compact on it (or
maybe it just deleted the Deleted Items.dbx file and created a new empty
one). Since the recent update that backs up the DBX files prior to
compacting, that no longer happens and you must manually compact the
Deleted Items folder.

As for the Outbox.dbx, that's for message that you send. It also needs
manual compacting periodically. It shouldn't be increasing in size when
you receive junk mail, unless either you have an anti-spam program
that's set return spam to sender (a bad idea since it only makes matters
worse) or you have some virus sending mail without your knowledge.

Also see Bruce's reply.

oups.com...

Old February 27th 07, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
racerdog

On Feb 26, 11:26 am, "Michael Santovec"
wrote:
It used to be that if you set the Deleted Items folder to empty on exit
(Tools, Options, Maintenance), OE did an automatic compact on it (or
maybe it just deleted the Deleted Items.dbx file and created a new empty
one). Since the recent update that backs up the DBX files prior to
compacting, that no longer happens and you must manually compact the
Deleted Items folder.

As for the Outbox.dbx, that's for message that you send. It also needs
manual compacting periodically. It shouldn't be increasing in size when
you receive junk mail, unless either you have an anti-spam program
that's set return spam to sender (a bad idea since it only makes matters
worse) or you have some virus sending mail without your knowledge.

Also see Bruce's reply.

--

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

"racerdog" wrote in message

oups.com...

Why does OLE create dbx folders with data after receiving junk mail? I
have my mail filters set to delete junk mail on arrival as well as
emptying the trash folder on exit. However, I'm noticing that the
database for the deleted.dbx and the outbox.dbx files are increasing
in size after receiving junk mail. Why? Is there a way to configure
OLE to stop increasing the size of these two dbx files?- Hide quoted text -

Compacting does reduce the dbx file sizes. However both the deleted
dbx and the outbox dbx files continue to grow in size every time I
open OLE and receive junk mail. One thing I've noticed is that if I
reload the system (clean install) and restore OLE from backup I
immediately start receiving junk mail again. Then I have to go through
the process of resetting all my filters etc. Since I use both OL and
OLE on the same system I'm wondering if that might be a cause?
(although OL uses pst and it seems to work fine - no junk mail
problems) What I'd like to know is how to check what's in the dbx
files so that when they grow I could open them up and look at them
independant of the OLE Client to see what's being exported if
anything.

Old February 27th 07, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

My DBXpress program will extract messages from corrupt folders and OEX from
normal ones.

see www.oehelp.com

But your outbox should not continue to grow. Make sure you don't have
antivirus set to scan email. See www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

steve

oups.com...
wrote:
It used to be that if you set the Deleted Items folder to empty on exit
(Tools, Options, Maintenance), OE did an automatic compact on it (or
maybe it just deleted the Deleted Items.dbx file and created a new empty
one). Since the recent update that backs up the DBX files prior to
compacting, that no longer happens and you must manually compact the
Deleted Items folder.

As for the Outbox.dbx, that's for message that you send. It also needs
manual compacting periodically. It shouldn't be increasing in size when
you receive junk mail, unless either you have an anti-spam program
that's set return spam to sender (a bad idea since it only makes matters
worse) or you have some virus sending mail without your knowledge.

Also see Bruce's reply.

--

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

oups.com...

Old February 28th 07, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

The Deleted Items.DBX file should be growing in size every time you
receive junk mail and delete it. That's because the junk mail is copied
there when it's deleted.

However, the Outbox folder should only grow when you send a message, not
receive. Are you running any anti-spam program on your PC? And if so,
is it set to send the spam back to the sender or report it to some spam
service? That would cause the Outbox to grow.

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old February 28th 07, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
racerdog

On Feb 27, 8:06 pm, "Michael Santovec"
wrote:
The Deleted Items.DBX file should be growing in size every time you
receive junk mail and delete it. That's because the junk mail is copied
there when it's deleted.

However, the Outbox folder should only grow when you send a message, not
receive. Are you running any anti-spam program on your PC? And if so,
is it set to send the spam back to the sender or report it to some spam
service? That would cause the Outbox to grow.

--

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

"racerdog" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

anything.- Hide quoted text -

I reloaded the system platform and removed spam/spyware software to be
certain there isn't any interference. The dbx files continue to grow.
As a workaround I simply manually delete the two dbx files after
closing/compressing OLE. OLE recreates them on the next startup.
However, once in a while when I'm rushed doing other work, I sometimes
forget to do the cleanup routine. On some of those occasions I noticed
a suspect OL function like sending or copying email information to
another outside source. Investigation showed the source was a bogus
email address but my concern was for the security of the file
information at the time. Since I incorporated the workaround dbx
cleanup procedure I haven't noticed any further anomalies with OL. But
based on the type of data I'm sending through OL it makes perfect
sense that an outsider would be interested in using OLE Spam as
springboard to gain access to outgoing OL files. If true it's a pretty
sophisticated intrusion. (I should probably add that I've intercepted
a couple intrusions into a very vulnerable ActionTec Modem firewall.
ActionTec has failed to respond to my inquiries about it)

I can understand why the deleted folders dbx would grow because of the
trash mail being sent to it. (However that raises a security question
in my mind. If known code could be extracted from a trash bin by a
Trojan for later execution/export of sensitive file information the
question arises why save any portion of deleted messages at all?
Shouldn't deleted trash be permanently deleted if the client is
configured that way?) But I know the outbox shouldn't grow unless I'm
sending mail. So my suspicion is that something is loading information
into the outbox and sending it using a background resource although I
haven't been able to detect the background operation yet.

What I'm noticing is that if left alone the OLE Client progress bar
displays activity that I think is outgoing mail on launch. (I presume
that because the order of operations is send first then receive) I see
the little green progress squares at the bottom of the client rapidly
progress and then the regular routine of receiving mail begins. That
tells me that something is being sent out on launch and I presume it
to be data from the outbox to an unknown destination. Is there a way
to track it, display it in the sent folder, or discover where the
destination is? It makes sense to me because I normally work offline
and only come online when transacting business etc. Hence, an intruder
would have to use a vicarious operation and wait for me to come online
and launch the client to get information.

So I guess the best solution at this point would be a dbx eraser at
the close of the client. Is there such a thing or would I need to
develop that myself?

Old February 28th 07, 07:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

I wouldn't be concerned about a trojan finding data in the Deleted
Items. It you have a trojan digging through the deleted items, you have
worse problems.

As for the sending progress bar, OE does a send before receive. On
occasion I've seen the send progress bar flash even though I have
nothing new in the Outbox. Nothing actually got sent. It seems related
the some sequence of events in past sending. It may be that OE is just
checking the Outbox to see if there is anything to send.

And "empty" DBX file is about 59 KB. If your Outbox.dbx. file is
growing beyond that, but you haven't sent anything, what I would do is
close OE (without doing a compact), then make a copy of the Outbox.dbx
file as Outbox.txt. Then open the Outbox.txt in Notepad. The file has
a complicated structure, but you should be able to recognize is there
are any suspicious messages in it.

oups.com...
wrote:
The Deleted Items.DBX file should be growing in size every time you
receive junk mail and delete it. That's because the junk mail is
copied
there when it's deleted.

However, the Outbox folder should only grow when you send a message,
not
receive. Are you running any anti-spam program on your PC? And if
so,
is it set to send the spam back to the sender or report it to some
spam
service? That would cause the Outbox to grow.

--

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

groups.com...

Old March 1st 07, 12:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
racerdog

On Feb 28, 11:13 am, "Michael Santovec"
wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

wrote:
The Deleted Items.DBX file should be growing in size every time you
receive junk mail and delete it. That's because the junk mail is
copied
there when it's deleted.

However, the Outbox folder should only grow when you send a message,
not
receive. Are you running any anti-spam program on your PC? And if
so,
is it set to send the spam back to the sender or report it to some
spam
service? That would cause the Outbox to grow.

--

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

groups.com...

wrote:
[...]

"racerdog" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

develop that myself?- Hide quoted text -

The reason I'm concerned and watch for Trojans is because I transfer
sensitive Banking and Personal financial information on a regular
basis. So there is a high motive to get at my computer.

The OE outbox dbx typically grows to about 139k before I delete it.
Right now it's at 59k which I know is normal. However, I've seen it as
high as 1.9meg and that before I sent out any emails.

I'll try the Notepad / text procedure and see what I find. I've done
that before but most of it's garbage like you say. But It's been
awhile since I've tried it so I'll give that another shot.

Old March 1st 07, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

If you are transmitting sensitive banking information, then you should be
using encrypted email.

steve

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

wrote:
The Deleted Items.DBX file should be growing in size every time you
receive junk mail and delete it. That's because the junk mail is
copied
there when it's deleted.

However, the Outbox folder should only grow when you send a message,
not
receive. Are you running any anti-spam program on your PC? And if
so,
is it set to send the spam back to the sender or report it to some
spam
service? That would cause the Outbox to grow.

--

Mike -http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

groups.com...

wrote:
[...]