Downloading newsgroups

Old February 5th 07, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
BAD

Default Downloading newsgroups

On the first download, after subscribing to a newsgroup, I sometimes get
thousands of email. Some going back several years. Then I have to go
through and delete all the old ones.

What setting should I be using so this doesn't happen?

Thanks.

It has removed 4 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old February 5th 07, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I have never seen newsgroups that keep posts that long, but I'll take your
word for it.

If you want to download newsgroups, but don't want hundreds, or thousands,
of messages, you can create a message rule such as this:

Tools | Message Rules | News.

Box 1: Where the message was sent more than days ago
Box 2: Delete it & Stop processing more rules
Box 3: Click on "Days" and choose the # of days you want.
Name the rule.

In Tools | Options | Read - Uncheck: Get XXX headers at a time. When you go
to, or subscribe to a newsgroup, it will only download the messages for the
number of days you selected.

Opinions on this vary, but in Tools | Accounts | News | Properties |
General, I have Include this account when checking for new messages checked.
When OE automatically checks for mail, (however often you have it set for),
it will also download any new news messages at the same time.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old February 5th 07, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

ToolsOptionsReadGet XXX headers at a time

You may set this option as high as 1,000. Right-click on the newsgroup in
Folders paneSynchronization Settings select New Messages Only. Now every
time you open the newsgroup (or hit F5), you will download the next-newest
set of headers/messages.

When you feel you've downloaded enough headers/messages, again right-click
on the newsgroup in Folders pane and select Catch Up Now. This will Mark as
Read all messages on the server, including ones you've not yet downloaded.
Now return to "Get XXX headers at a time" and uncheck the option completely;
then compact the folder.

From now on, OE will only download headers/messages posted to the server
since you last checked (polled) for messages.

You should probably visit this page, too:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews (lotsa good stuff
there).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Downloading Speed B.W. Outlook Express 1 January 31st 07 01:52 AM
Downloading IE/OE 6 ?? nick Outlook Express 11 January 6th 07 08:02 AM
viewing Microsoft newsgroups on Outlook Express newsgroups BoazBoaz Outlook Express 11 September 23rd 06 08:29 PM
downloading hotmail Johnny Outlook Express 18 August 26th 06 12:48 PM
Downloading Messages Marcus Outlook Express 2 February 15th 06 04:23 PM