Backing up address book

Old January 13th 07, 06:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Marty

Default Backing up address book

I'm trying to back up some files to a CD. I can figure out how to do the
other files I want, such as My Documents and Favorites, but not the address
book. The last time I did this I had the address book on there, but I didn't
write down what I did. If I read the old CD, it appears that the file name
is marty.wab, but I get nothing if I search for that or just .wab.

Thank you.

Old January 13th 07, 06:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
SingaporeWebDesign

Hello,

It should be located in
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book

Replace user name with your ID and paste the address in the address bar.
It should open up.

To navigate to it through explorer, you will need to enable show hidden
files and show protected files in folder options.

--
Singapore Web Design
http://www.bootstrike.com/Webdesign/

Old January 13th 07, 12:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"Marty" wrote in message
I'm trying to back up some files to a CD. I can figure out how to do the
other files I want, such as My Documents and Favorites, but not the
address book. The last time I did this I had the address book on there,
but I didn't write down what I did. If I read the old CD, it appears that
the file name is marty.wab, but I get nothing if I search for that or just
.wab.

Thank you.

See paragraph 2 he
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/simple.htm

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Old January 13th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

In WindowsXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as
hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden
Files and Folders under Start Control Panel Folder Options View.

OE creates and automatically maintains a back-up of your Address Book. If
yours is marty.wab, you should also have/find a file named marty.wab~ (WAB
extension plus a tilde).

Backup & Restore OE Data
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/index.htm
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

OE Files & Settings
http://www.insideoe.com/files/index.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old January 13th 07, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Marty

Thank you PA, and to Singapore and Mac. With the information in these
and back them up on the CD.

I still don't understand why I get -0- results when I do a search on .wab,
but that's a curiosity, not a problem.

Thanks again to all.

Old January 13th 07, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

For my own preference, I open the Address Book | File | Export | Address
Book (wab) and send it to a user created folder, (Backups), in My Documents
where I also send Favorites and some others. From there, I burn that and my
other personal folders in My Docs to CD. No need to hunt for it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express