Lost Saved Emails

Old January 13th 07, 04:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
KKW

Default Lost Saved Emails

My computer did a windows update and after it completed my email was changed
over to Microsoft Outlook. I went back to Outlook Express, made it my
default again but noticed it was all information from when I used it 6mnths
ago. None of my saved emails were there and my address book was not current.
Can you tell me how to get the email account back that I was using prior to
the update. I am more concerned about my saved documents.

Thank you,
Old January 13th 07, 06:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"KKW" wrote in message
My computer did a windows update and after it completed my email was
changed
over to Microsoft Outlook. I went back to Outlook Express, made it my
default again but noticed it was all information from when I used it
6mnths
ago. None of my saved emails were there and my address book was not
current.
Can you tell me how to get the email account back that I was using prior
the update. I am more concerned about my saved documents.

In OE got to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and see where OE
is currently storing its data files.
Now, go to Start | Find (or Search) and look for *.dbx (with Win2K, WinXP
and Win2K3 you will have to set the search to include hidden files and
folders).
If they are found in a different place go back to OE and use
File | Import | Messages.
Select Outlook Express 5 (or 6, they are the same for this purpose).
Select the lower radio button to import from an Outlook Express store
directory and navigate to the location that OE is not using.

Also, see this article:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/probl...s.htm#mailgone

Go to Help | About and look at the version number for directdb.dll. If
it is 6.00.2900.3028 then OE put a backup in the Recycle Bin. If it is a
different version number then you will need DBXpress ($25 at www.oehelp.com)
to recover messages from the hard drive and it probably won't be able to
recover all of them since you have used the computer since then.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old January 13th 07, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
KKW

Frank,
Excuse my lack of computer knowledge. I found the folder but it does not
open up when I click on it. It asked me what to open it with and I chose IE.
It change the icons on each to "e" but will not open when I click one.
I also went to try and import them but I do not understand what you me by
navigate to a location OE is not using.

Old January 13th 07, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"KKW" wrote in message
Frank,
Excuse my lack of computer knowledge. I found the folder but it does not
open up when I click on it. It asked me what to open it with and I chose
IE.
It change the icons on each to "e" but will not open when I click one.
I also went to try and import them but I do not understand what you me by
navigate to a location OE is not using.

I'm assuming you got the location of the OLD DBX files, which were NOT in
the Store Folder OE listed.

Open OE.
Click File.
Click Import.
Click Messages.
Click Outlook Express 6.
Click Import mail from an OE6 store directory.
Click OK.
Click Browse.
Highlight the location of the old DBX files.
Click OK.
Click Next and follow directions.

Old January 13th 07, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
KKW

I was able to locate the folder however it would not let me open the saved
file. When I clicked on it, it asked what I wanted to open it with and I
highlighted OE and all that did was take me to my Outlook Express with no
results.

Let me ask you this.........why after the windows update did it revert me to
an older identity for June? If I could get my identity back I was using
yesterday, I believe everything would be fine. I know that this is not the
current email I was using because all of my contacts were outdated addresses
and my signature read my last email address. Is there a way to get my
current box back?

Old January 14th 07, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"KKW" wrote in message
I was able to locate the folder however it would not let me open the saved
file. When I clicked on it, it asked what I wanted to open it with and I
highlighted OE and all that did was take me to my Outlook Express with no
results.

You chose not to follow my instructions. You can't click on a DBX file to
open it.

Let me ask you this.........why after the windows update did it revert me
an older identity for June? If I could get my identity back I was using
yesterday, I believe everything would be fine. I know that this is not
the
current email I was using because all of my contacts were outdated
addresses
and my signature read my last email address. Is there a way to get my
current box back?

I don't know why your problem occurred. It didn't happen to any of my
customers. I told you how to get the messages back but you decided not to
do it.

Old January 14th 07, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
KKW

I completed your directions and was able to locate the dbx files where my
store folder said they were located however they are not the old files, they
are the current files. I also checked the revision in my help/about and I
looked in my recycle bin to restore the bak files and believe it or not they
also were current. I am just totally baffled. I appreciate your assistance
and appologize if it seems like I am not doing as you instruct me to do but I
assure you I am.

Old January 15th 07, 03:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"KKW" wrote in message
I completed your directions and was able to locate the dbx files where my
store folder said they were located however they are not the old files,
they
are the current files. I also checked the revision in my help/about and I
looked in my recycle bin to restore the bak files and believe it or not
they
also were current. I am just totally baffled. I appreciate your
assistance
and appologize if it seems like I am not doing as you instruct me to do
but I
assure you I am.

Click Start.
Click Search.
Click All files and folders.
Click More advanced Options.
Make sure Search Hidden files and folders is checked.
Scroll to the top box ("All or part of the file name") and click in it.
Type Inbox.dbx
Click Search.
Note the locations (you should find two).
Import from the location that is not OE's current location using OE's File |
Import | Messages.