LINKS TO WEB NOT WORKING

Old January 8th 07, 10:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Lindsay Graham

Default LINKS TO WEB NOT WORKING

I'm using WinXP with IE7 and OE6. Not sure whether the problem is with OE
or not, but perhaps someone can advise ...

For the last few days (it was fine before that), www links quoted in emails
to me will not work, whether single-clicked or double-clicked. Is there
some setting that can affect this in OE or elsewhere? The only possibly
relevant change that I can think of is that I've changed ISPs (I'm
travelling and have just moved from France to Hong Kong).

Lindsay Graham
normally in Canberra, Australia

Old January 8th 07, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Lindsay Graham

Since sending the message below, I've read Bruce Hagen's reply as follows to
a similar enquiry, and my further queries are interleaved:

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults |
Browser: IE /must/ be chosen here if you're running IE7 and want such
links to work.

LG: My settings are all under 'Custom' and the first one is set to 'Use my
current Web browser' [IE7 is the only browser that I have installed] and
there's a tick against 'Enable access to this program' [referring to
Internet Explorer]. Presumably this is correct. Still nothing happens when
I click a link.

If still no joy:

From:
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

If nothing happens when you click a link:
Open Windows Explorer, or the Control Panel.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to [NONE] URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol (NOT URL:Internet
Shortcut) and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

LG: I use Windows XP Home, and after clicking 'Advanced' there is no 'Open'
and I cannot select 'Edit' because it is greyed out. Should I select 'New'
and add the data (including the DDE stuff)? It's the same story with URL:
Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome (Check the path
iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old January 8th 07, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Lindsay Graham" wrote in message
I'm using WinXP with IE7 and OE6. Not sure whether the problem is with OE
or not, but perhaps someone can advise ...

For the last few days (it was fine before that), www links quoted in
emails to me will not work, whether single-clicked or double-clicked. Is
there some setting that can affect this in OE or elsewhere? The only
possibly relevant change that I can think of is that I've changed ISPs
(I'm travelling and have just moved from France to Hong Kong).

Lindsay Graham
normally in Canberra, Australia

Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults
Make sure Internet Explorer is the default browser.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old January 8th 07, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

See the attachments. If this is not what you see, you are either looking in
the wrong place, or I don't have an answer for you.

Old January 8th 07, 04:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JOHN RUFF

Lindsay,

I have a similar problem you have. When I click on a url in an OE email, the
Windows Directory window opens instead of IE7 opening and going to the url.
I checked the setting as suggested by Frank and they are set correctly. I
also followed Bruce's advice and the file type is registered correctly.

papparuff

--
John Ruff
Applications Support Analyst

Old January 8th 07, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Might want to review this info about the problem:

Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to Internet
Explorer 7:

Jim Pickering, MVP/Windows Mail applications
Please reply ONLY to newsgroup.

Old January 8th 07, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

1. [Control Panel Add/Remove Programs ] Set Program Access and Defaults
Browser: Select "Internet Explorer" here.

If no joy, see:

2a. http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx

2b. Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to Internet
Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old January 8th 07, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JOHN RUFF

Here's what finally worked for me.

Go to http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm and run
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/reg/IE...lt_Browser.reg

papparuff

Old January 8th 07, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Melelina

So, do I understand all the experts correctly? If you have another browser
as default, you cannot upgrade to IE7 and expect links in OE to work? I
have no intention of ever setting IE as default as I seldom use it. I
should stay with IE6 in this instance? I have no problems with having Fx as
default and links in OE open perfectly in Fx.

What happens with Service Pack 3 for XP (if Microsoft does deliver that)?
That will force IE7 right? Then links will be broken in OE if I have Fx as
default? Is Microsoft planning on fixing this problem?

Old January 9th 07, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Oscar A Mendoza

Hello there, go to Windows Explorer, tools, files type, in folders option
scroll down l,,,link on URL:Hyper text Transfer Protocol,,,Adavance, in the
small window you will see Edit File Type click edit ,,,appear DDe Message
"%1",,-1,0,,,, Application IExplore DDE Application not running Blank Topic
WWW_OpenURL Click OK sometimes you must uncheck USE DDE.
Good look.
Oscar A.