Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Hotmail suppresses all junkmail (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/36417-hotmail-suppresses-all-junkmail.html)

BjornB December 29th 06 11:12 AM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

I have a problem on my Hotmail account, since ca 6 months back. The
account is coupled to OE6, but I also read it from web occasionally.

The thing is that regardless of that I tell Hotmail (through Options)
to keep my junkmail, no junkmail reaches the junk mail folder. Never.
An occasional junkmail slips through Hotmails filters and reaches the
Inbox, but otherwise it appears that everything that the filters think
is junk is just silently removed.

I've gone from tens of junk a day to zero. I really want this stuff to
end up in my junk mail folder to double check that the junk is really
junk. No filter is perfect, and I know of cases where poeple have sent
me mail repeatedly without it reaching my inbox.
The MS support, although quick to answer, have not been able to answer
my questions regarding this.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem.?

(do not email this adress)

PA Bear December 29th 06 11:39 AM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

Do the messages show up in the Bulk Mail folder at www.hotmail.com?

What are your settings at www.hotmail.com Options Junk Mail Filters?

How do you know that no Junk Mail reaches the folder?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

BjornB December 30th 06 01:46 PM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

I never see anything in the junk mail folder on www.hotmail.com, unless
it is the occasional spam from the Inbox that I have then marked as
such. These stick around in the junk mail folder until I delete them.
So this is how I know that nothing reaches the junk mail folder.

My settings on www.hotmail.com are "delete later", that is move to junk
mail folder. It makes no difference whether I use the "obvious junk" or
"most junk" settings. The settings are verified as OK by MS support.

I have set up a couple of custom filters through www.Hotmail, but those
are only for forcing mails to end up in Inbox (e.g. "everything from
ends-with .se"). But I'm not sure they're working as intended, so I
will now try to delete these in case they are messing things up. Will
followup if this fixes things.

Bjorn

BjornB December 31st 06 07:28 AM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

Hello Winston.
No, I haven't tried the exclusive setting. People should be able to
email me. Granted, "contacts only" might be useful for kids and such.

But most other settings have been changed repeatedly in a lame attempt
to try to kick-start proper behaviour of my account.
And removing my aforementioned custom filters seems not to help either.

Direct question:
Does the Junk-mail-folder actually work as intended for most people?
Or is it just me that am bothered by (how it appears to me) that MS
deletes alleged junk (and alleged viruses for that matter) so they
don't have to store them.

...winston January 1st 07 10:23 AM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

It works here...on three different passport accounts. Two of the three are much older accounts and get more junk than the other less used account.

The exclusive setting was suggested only to test and see if non contacts were sent to the junk folder.

: ...winston wrote:
:
: Have you tried to change the filter to exclusive and delete later so that all mail except from contacts goes to the junk folder.
: ..winston
:
: "BjornB" wrote in message ups.com...
: :I never see anything in the junk mail folder on www.hotmail.com, unless
: : it is the occasional spam from the Inbox that I have then marked as
: : such. These stick around in the junk mail folder until I delete them.
: : So this is how I know that nothing reaches the junk mail folder.
: :

BjornB January 3rd 07 11:12 PM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

Thanks for the info, Winston. Good to know that the junk mail folder is
working for someone.
I will test the "exclusive" setting for some hours. See what happens.
Bjorn

:

...winston January 5th 07 02:19 AM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

I assumed all along that your account was an http account..
Just in case: Note: If your account is an msn legacy pop3 account and you use OE or OL to retrieve mail with pop3 credentials instead of http settings((pop3 accounts can be retrieved via pop3 or http settings) then the junk mail folder will not be visible using pop3 credentials. The only way to see the junk mail folder is to use the web interface or remove the account and set it up as an http account.

:

BjornB January 12th 07 01:05 AM

Hotmail suppresses all junkmail

The "some hours" turned into a week unfortunately, but I figured I
needed the time to monitor the behaviour.
I tested the "exclusive" filtering for the first time. Mail from
unknown senders actually went to the junk folder, with no observed lost
mail, and then I turned on "enhanced" again.

Now for the weird thing. This seems to have kick-started the account so
now I actually occasionally receive junk in the junk folder. Less than
10 so far during the week, but this used to be exactly zero.
Of course it used to and should be _much_ more. I also have cases of
legit mails that never reached me, which I assume is caused by the junk
filter or virus filter.
So it still bugs me that the account doesn't behave as the
documentation and options suggests it should. I don't trust that I'm
receiving all legit mails (at least not those kinds that might be
mis-classified as junk).

(And yes, I have a normal http account, not pop3. I can see the junk
mail folder and its occasional contents.)

Bjorn

: