That's too weird to be true: When I type "Merry Christmas!" on subject line, mail will be...rejected!!

Old December 23rd 06, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Philippe - Swiss

Default That's too weird to be true: When I type "Merry Christmas!" on subject line, mail will be...rejected!!

Hello there,

Yep, it took me half a day (damn it!) to figure this one out:
You see, I got this mail with its existing subject line reading
"Merry Christmas!"...but when I wanted to reply directly,
it was "bluntly" rejected with the following notice:
"" Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 5.3.0 Delivery
REJECTED', Port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Server Error:
553, Error Number: 0x800CCC6E "".

But if I remove the "!" or type instead "Happy Christmas!"
or put instead of "!" a "?", etc., it goes through at once (!).
And also if I add one additional space between "Merry"
and "Christmas!"...it'll fix "it"!

So I guess this is now the "one-million question"...ha??
Indeed, I'm surely not a "newbie" re "PC-Support"...
but this is now beyond my comprehension, how on earth
a specific content within the subject-line can prevent the
successful transmission of a whole email (!).

Anyway, I'd appreciate if some of you could now
try the same test on their own Outlook Express...
(Subject: Merry Christmas! The message body
itself can be left blank).

Note: In my case, it doesn't matter to which email
address I'm trying to send it...it always fails!
(So in order to conduct further tests, I simply did
use my own mail account as the recipient).

So thanks very much in advance for ANY valid
response which might solve this "stupid riddle"...

Philippe - Swiss

Old December 24th 06, 03:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi Philippe,

0x800CCC6E SMTP_553_MAILBOX_NAME_SYNTAX Invalid mailbox name syntax.

It is hard to predict when punctuation characters will cause a problem. It
is a server issue which I have seen on rare occasion in the past with
newsgroup posts. When tested using my mail account there was not a problem
with "Merry Christmas!" in the subject line. Maybe an expert on the issue
can shed more light on the subject.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old December 24th 06, 06:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Philippe - Swiss

Thanks Tim for your reply which I appreciated.

Mind you, it's NOT an actual pure "punctuation problem",
because if I apply now "Merry Christmas!" with...TWO
space marks in between (ie. "Merry Christmas!")...it'll
definitely go through every time (!).

I now also tried to use a different Outgoing Mail Server
(SMTP), but still to no avail...

Anyway, "Merry Christmas" to you now (lol)!!

Philippe

Old December 24th 06, 07:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Philippe - Swiss

Oops, please...skip now my statement about trying it with another
SMTP Mail Server, because it...WORKS by doing "so"; okay!
BUT STILL: This "riddle" remains for me unsolved, WHY such
specific (and only!) failure occurs with my original server (!!).

Philippe

Old December 24th 06, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"Philippe - Swiss" wrote in message
Oops, please...skip now my statement about trying it with another
SMTP Mail Server, because it...WORKS by doing "so"; okay!
BUT STILL: This "riddle" remains for me unsolved, WHY such
specific (and only!) failure occurs with my original server (!!).

Several years ago there was a virus sending out messages with the subject
"Merry Christmas!" (no quotes) and that SMTP server of yours is apparently
still blocking the subject.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old December 24th 06, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Philippe - Swiss

Wow Frank: Thanks a lot for this "sooo simple" explanation!
You really made now "my day" at THIS...Christmas; he, he!
So by the way: A personal "Merry Christmas!" to you now!
Philippe Borel (Switzerland).

Old December 24th 06, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Slootweg

Kuay Tim wrote:
Hi Philippe,

0x800CCC6E SMTP_553_MAILBOX_NAME_SYNTAX Invalid mailbox name syntax.

It is hard to predict when punctuation characters will cause a problem. It
is a server issue which I have seen on rare occasion in the past with
newsgroup posts. When tested using my mail account there was not a problem
with "Merry Christmas!" in the subject line. Maybe an expert on the issue
can shed more light on the subject.

If it's really a 553 SMTP error, then, as you indicate, the/an *email
address* has a problem, i.e. *not* the "Subject:". And indeed, a '!' in
an e-mail address can give problems, but I guess I can't expect you
youngsters to understand why! :-)

So Philippe, are you sure you were (only) talking about the "Subject:"
and not (also) about the e-mail address(es) (i.e. "From:", "To:", "Cc:",
etc.)?

Frank "...!mcvax!hpuamsa!franks" Slootweg

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old December 24th 06, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Philippe - Swiss

Hello Frank Slootweg,

Well, all I can say is that this error occurs with ANY email address I'm
trying to reach with such specific subject title on my email to be sent.
Further and as already stated previously, it's...NOT this punctuation "!"
itself which provokes such failure; indeed, by simply adding an additional
space between "Merry" and "Christmas!" (ie. "Merry..Christmas!") will
overcome this "delivery rejection". And also by only omitting one single
character such as typing "Mery Christmas!"...will overcome "it" as well.

So I believe that the explanation of Frank Saunders (MS-MVP OE/WM)
seems to be "the clear answer" to this riddle of mine (!); I quote him:
"" Several years ago there was a virus sending out messages with
the subject "Merry Christmas!" (no quotes) and that SMTP
server of yours is apparently still blocking the subject.""

Bye, Philippe.

Old December 24th 06, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Slootweg

Philippe - Swiss wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, if the problem is only related to the
"Subject:" and not to the email address(es), then indeed Frank Saunders'
explanation is the most likely cause. It looks like your provider's SMTP
server is just misusing the SMTP 553 error code for other purposes. BTW,
*which* provider/SMTP-server are you using? Perhaps others in the
audience use the same provider/server and can try to reproduce the
'problem'.

Old December 27th 06, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"N. Miller" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:27:16 +0100, Philippe - Swiss wrote:

Wow Frank: Thanks a lot for this "sooo simple" explanation!
You really made now "my day" at THIS...Christmas; he, he!
So by the way: A personal "Merry Christmas!" to you now!
Philippe Borel (Switzerland).

I just checked the transaction filter on my mail server; it does allow me
set a reject on the Subject line. I don't do that; and, if I did, I'd be
using 554 as the error.

Yes, but the fact that you would do it right doesn't mean the server he
connects to does it right. OE just reports back what the server says.