Cannot import files--error message

Old November 25th 06, 07:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Diane

Default Cannot import files--error message

I have not been able to import files from my old computer to a new one.
After much travail, I was able to get them onto the new computer, but when I
use the import function, it said that the files are not there or that they're
in use. Neither of those statements is correct. They ARE there, and they
are NOT in use. I have spent an extremely large amount of time (maybe 20
hours by now!) on this. Any thoughts about how to avoid that error message
and get the darn thing to import?

Thanks,
Diane
Old November 25th 06, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Select all of the moved DBX files, including Folders.dbx
Right click the selection and choose Properties.
Uncheck the box for Read Only.
Now try Tile | Import.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old November 25th 06, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Diane

Well I'd already tried that, to no avail. I get the same error message when
I try to import them that I mentioned in my first post. I just tried it
again to make sure that some miracle hadn't happened overnight, but it
doesn't make any difference. I still get the error message that says that no
messages can be found in "this folder or another application is running that
has the required files open." But they are there and they are not open in
another application. I note, though, that I have no "folders.dbx" file,
which your post suggests I should have. Also, all I have on the old computer
is a backup of the OE6 folders that I made a few days ago. In trying to move
the folders to the new computer, they disappeared from OE6 on the old
computer. Fortunantely, I had made a backup. Is there any way to restore
them on the olde computer? (Dell says no--it's running Win 98.)

What I did was copy a few folders onto a CD on the old computer then put
that CD in the new computer. I have 6 dbx folders I'm trying to copy right
now and many more I'd like to copy to a CD and move over. Also, the import
function will not even "see" the files on the CD drive. It took many, many
tries of moving them all around to be able to "see" them when I open the
Outlook Express Import window and browse for a location. I've seen some
postings that talk about making sure that the locations of the messages are
the same. I don't know how to do that or what that means. (How can the
locations be the same if there's location 1 and location 2 on OE6 that you're
trying to move the files in location 1 to?) That seems to be one of the
things I'm not sure I tried. Might that help?

Thanks,
Diane

Old November 25th 06, 06:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Dianne: You need to "copy" all of the DBX files from the CD to a folder you
create on your hard drive, then use Windows Explorer to navigate to the
folder they are in, select all of the DBX files and clear the Read Only
attribute that is created when you save a file to a CD. You are attempting
to clear that attribute while the files are still on the CD and it will not
work.

In short, you cannot import from a CD. The files must reside in a folder on
your hard drive, with a clearing of the Read Only attribute for the import
to be successful. Good luck.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP/Windows Mail applications
Please reply ONLY to newsgroup.

news