OE Encrypt fails with a C·O·M·O·D·O provided digital ID

Old November 9th 06, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
twc

Default OE Encrypt fails with a C·O·M·O·D·O provided digital ID

1. I got my family 'hive' three digital ID's from http://www.comodogroup.com/

as in: [
https://secure.comodo.net/products/f...ailCertificate ]

2. An email was sent between all three people, that had been signed.

3. Next a test message was sent from me to one of this group with 'Encrypt'
set.

4. Logging in (same PC, different user) run Outlook Express (OE) and when
trying to read the mail I got this...

Message could not be displayed
Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.

Outlook Express

5. So I tried with Sign and Encrypt "set."

6. I tried to send test mails to myself (I must have my own key).

7. Looking at the settings:

OE Tools Options {Security tab} [Digital IDs button]
{Personal tab} Click-on-cert. **8** [Advanced button]

Everything *but* Client Authentication and Secure Email is ticked. So these
two are NOT ticked...

**8.** If I'd double click on the certificate then {details tab} ...
Looking down the list two items have a warning triangle on them:-
(i) Key Usage
(ii) Basic Constraints

The other items have either a circle with green down arrow or a 'pencil' if
or indeed nothing 'on' them.

9. A little more info.

Version:
V3

Issuer:
CN = UTN-USERFirst-Client Authentication and Email
OU = http://www.usertrust.com
O = The USERTRUST Network
L = Salt Lake City
S = UT
C = US

Public key:
RSA (1024 Bits)

10. I got in contact with C·O·M·O·D·O (via the their ticket system)...

This is the reply...
snip

Hi,

I suspect that it is a microsoft problem,please go through the
following link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833306

Should have any queries do not hesitate to write to us.
Regards
*******
Technical Support

/snip

11. Which helps - NOT!

12. So this XP (SP2) Home is OEM as in SONY VAIO laptop.

13. How *do* I get OE and Certificates working?

That is to say; where is {if there is one} the download to fix this link
please?
Old November 9th 06, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

See if these help:

How to Digitally Sign and Encrypt Messages in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=168726
OE: How to Remove, Import, and Export Digital Certificates
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179380
OE: Sent Message May Not Be Digitally Signed
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=185621
Unable to Use Personal Certificates in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190296
OLEXP: Outlook Express Hangs When Opening Encrypted Message
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288137