attachments "access . . denied" after store move

Old November 8th 06, 11:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default attachments "access . . denied" after store move

Win 2000 Pro; OE6
I followed the instructions in www.insideoe.com to move my OE6 store
and since then I cannot open attachments. I get the following error
message
"Access to the specified device, path or file is denied.".
I do seem to be able to save them, so they do exist. Note the
Option/Security/"anti-virus checkbox" is unticked.
Can anyone help please?

Old November 8th 06, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tom Koch

wrote in message
oups.com...
Win 2000 Pro; OE6
I followed the instructions in www.insideoe.com to move my OE6 store
and since then I cannot open attachments. I get the following error
message
"Access to the specified device, path or file is denied.".
I do seem to be able to save them, so they do exist. Note the
Option/Security/"anti-virus checkbox" is unticked.
Can anyone help please?

What is the path of your new store folder? Do you have full permissions for it?

What is the path for the Internet Explorer "Temporary Internet Files" (TIF)?
You can find that in Control Panel|Internet Options, click the TIF Settings
button.

Attachments that you open directly in OE are first copied to the TIF, so the
problem might be there.

--
Tom Koch, former MVP for IE/Outlook Express 1997-2005
http://www.insideoe.com

Old November 8th 06, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Rob

Thanks Tom,
Three points:
1) attachments are now working.
2) I think your idea about the TIF is correct: the title to the error
message panel carried the full path of the TIF - I wondered why at the
time.
3) I didn't have to do anything: between my question and reading your
reply I restarted the PC, and it seemed to cure itself ! But why . . .

Again thanks, Rob

PS How does OE6 manage to send mails but "TELNET ISP SMTP server name
25" gets a connection rejection, where ISP SMTP server name is the
same as that in the SMTP field of the active Account in OE6 ?

Old November 8th 06, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Rob

Got the PS: McAfee VirusScan was blocking it (somehow OE6 gets around
that - "bundled software"?). Found suggestion in another newsgroup.
Rob