Outlook Express send error 554 'recipient rejected by server'

Old November 2nd 06, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Maddydoggy

Default Outlook Express send error 554 'recipient rejected by server'

Hi
When I try to send a message with Outlook Express 6, I get the following
message:

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
'. Subject '', Account: 'pop.telus.net', Server:
'smtp.telus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
'554 : recipient address rejected: relay Access
denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number:
0x800CCC79"

I have tried several things such as checking for virus', spyware, Hijackers
etc and the system is all clear on that front. I have tried to disable both
the firewall and the anti-virus programs but that diddnt help. I have
downloaded all windows up dates, including IE7 (but this problem happened
with IE6 too) and any other program files I could find. I have also removed
and re-installed OE6, ran a windows repair and called the ISP who assurs me
that the email is working fine as I can send via their server based web mail
system. After all of this, nothing has worked.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks

Maddydoggy
Old November 2nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

Maddydoggy wrote:
[...]

This error message is coming from the mail server, not from OE itself.
It means that the SMTP (outgoing) mail server did not recognize you as
an authorized user and so rejected your message. Most ISPs configure
their SMTP servers to recognize only those whose IP address is on the
accepted list, meaning that you are connected directly to that ISP. If
you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to encounter this problem. The
solution is to change the SMTP server for that mail account under Tools|
Accounts| account name Properties| Servers.

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Old November 2nd 06, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Maddydoggy

Hi,

Thx very much for the repl and help. Just a silly question though, how do I
configure the port to use 587?

Thanks again,

Maddydoggy

"N. Miller" wrote:

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:07:02 -0800, Maddydoggy wrote:

[...]

The rejected email address was either an 'msn.com' email address, or a
'pennet.net' email address. The error message is either unclear, or
somehow got jumbled up.

Also, relay errors are normally coded 550. I would expect that a 554
error is some other server problem. However, your server is
'smtp.telus.net'. Telus is not known for doing anything right, and it
seems amazing that anything Telus works at all.

The problem is not with MS Outlook Express, but with the way that
'smtp.telus.net' is configured. I don't know what to suggest. They are
not listening on port 465. They do respond on port 587, though, so you
might try configuring MS Outlook Express to use port 587. Be warned,
though: If they expect STARTTLS, there is no way to configure MSOE to
use STARTTLS on any port other than port 25. You may not be able to do
anything with that server.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,

Old November 2nd 06, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Maddydoggy

Scap the last message I left and thx for your help folks. I spoke to a more
competant tech at Telus who still maintained that it was not there end but
recommended I try to reboot again. Who and behold right after that chat
ended and before the reboot, the error suddenly was cured all on it's own.

Gotta love Telus...lol

Thanks again everyone.

Brian