Open a VCF file in Outlook Express's Address Book

Old October 30th 06, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.

Default Open a VCF file in Outlook Express's Address Book

On previous computer systems, I have always been able to open .VCF files in
my Outlook Express Address Book. I have a new computer, and the .VCF format
is associated with Outlook. I don't *want* to configure Outlook, or set it
up just for this. I want to have the Address Book be the associated
application.

However, no matter how I try to associate "C:\Program Files\Outlook
Express\wab.exe" with a .VCF file, the best I can do is to have the entire
Address Book open when I click on (or Open) a .VCF file. I've read articles
saying that the correct syntax is to add " /vcard %1" to the end of the
command line. But when I try that, I get a syntax error. And I don't even
see a "/vcard" option for the WAB.EXE image. (I'm running Windows XP Media
Center Edition -- which is basically XP Professional.)

All I want to do is to be able to open a .VCF file in an application that
shows me all of the contents (preferably in the kind of tabbed interface
used by the Address Book). How can I do that?
--------------------------------------
Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.

Old October 30th 06, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

You can try this and see if it works:

In Internet Explorer: Tools, Internet Options, Programs and make
"Address Book" the Default for Contacts.

If that doesn't help, the file association for VCF files should be:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab.exe" /vcard %1

Try to copy/paste that into the file association.

Note
- The quotes are required.
- There must be one or more spaces before the /vcard
- There must be one or more spaces before the %1

And by the way, I opened my wab.exe in a hex viewer and do see /vcard.
It's at hex offset 780.

Old October 30th 06, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.

"Michael Santovec" wrote in message
You can try this and see if it works:

In Internet Explorer: Tools, Internet Options, Programs and make "Address
Book" the Default for Contacts.

An elegant solution, and one which I was hoping would work. Unfortunately,
it didn't seem to (even after rebooting, to be certain the change was
recognized).

If that doesn't help, the file association for VCF files should be:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab.exe" /vcard %1

Well, that's what I have in there. I've tried it with just the "/v", as
well as with the "/vcard". But in every case, the error message that pops
up when I try to access a .VCF file is:

"Invalid command line parameters.
Run 'Wab.exe /?' to see a list of command line parameters."

And when I do that, the only parameters I see listed are /Open or /New. So
I'm not sure what's up.

And by the way, I opened my wab.exe in a hex viewer and do see /vcard.
It's at hex offset 780.

Yes, I seem to see /Vcard, as well as /ShowExisting, /Find, /LDAP,
/Certificate, /FirstRun... but none of them appears in the 'Help' window.

Any thoughts on why I'm not seeing the proper results?
Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.