Messages I write always wordwrap about half-way across page

Old October 17th 06, 05:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Charlie Tame

Default Messages I write always wordwrap about half-way across page

Okay at 1280 X 960 with a full screen window that goes about 2/3 across but
wrap looks okay, as I usually read however using the preview pane it looks
distinctly odd with the first line break between the words "Those and
characters" then about half a line left vacant.

None of your messages looked odd to me so I think it what you are reading
and how rather than what you are sending that is the problem.

Charlie

"Charlie Tame" wrote in message
Okay, I just set mine to 132 which is the maximum and now I just have to
think of something to type that will use up all those characters and wrap
the lines. Bear in mind it wraps on my screen between "Bear and in" at the
window size I'm using but this is quite irrelevant to what is actually
sent. The whole point of this is to see how this looks on my screen
compared to yours. What screen resolution are you using because with 132
characters maximum a very high resolution will probably result in the
problem you are seeing if you use full screen.

Charlie

"jbclem" wrote in message
Nope, same thing. Something is wrapping the sentences at about 2/3rd the
way across the page. Counting spaces it does come to about 75 or so
letters.
I remain puzzled by this.

jc

"jbclem" wrote in message
But there is wordwrapping as I type, and it is correct. The incorrect
version shows up in the message that is sent. That is happening right

now,
and I'm not pressing enter. This reply is in the HTML setting, we'll
see

if
that makes a difference.

jc

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote in message
That is correct. The OE wordwrapping is not applies until the program

is
sent to Drafts or the Outbox. Do not press Enter until the end of a
paragraph.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"jbclem" wrote in message
It doesn't seem to happen when I'm typing, but shows up in the
message
after
I've sent it.

Old October 20th 06, 08:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Charlie,

Your first message wrapped at the word "those", next line wrapped at "is",
next line at "what", next line at "you". This looks normal to me, wrapping
at the edge of the full screen window.

I'm running 1024x768.

jc

Old October 20th 06, 08:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Charlie,

Now this message, your 2nd, wrapped like mine, about 2/3rds of the way
across, which is the problem I'm having. What I'm seeing is from looking in
someone else's message that has my message copied in it, or by looking in my
SENT folder. Are you saying that when you read my messages they are
wrapping at the edge of the page/window?

jc

Old October 20th 06, 12:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Charlie Tame

No, they look okay in the preview pane but in a full window it is as you
say, 2/3 across.

I assume this is because email was invented when screens were 80 columns
wide for text or something like 800 X 600 resolution. I'm now using 1280 X
960 so in a full screen window it's only covering just over half the width.

In addition OE does not have the formatting properties of a Word Processor,
to get that you need to move up to Outlook or something similar. For example
copying and pasting into OE may appear to preserve the formatting of another
document, but at send time the formatting may be lost.

Remember 800 X 600 was the "Standard" for a long long time because many
people were hanging on to older computers that had originally cost them an
arm and a leg. 14 inch monitors prevailed until technology enabled bigger
flatter screens to develop that could display bigger images. With a TV
picture you can just make the screen bigger and keep the number of physical
"Pixels" on the screen the same, and it won't look too bad. You cannot do
this with computer graphics, you would end up with bigger pictures at 800 X
600 but to go higher the lack of physical points on the glass would make
text go "Chunky".

So I don't think there was much incentive to revise mail clients like OE,
because the recipients might have any combination of hardware and thus it's
a backward compatibility convention.

Email is kinda like a "Telegram", a bit minimalist. To achieve better it is
expected that you will attach a "Document".

This isn't really an OE issue but a system wide convention, especially for
newsnet groups, which is why Outlook comes into play. It is specifically
designed to "Work around" the existing system.

Charlie

Old October 23rd 06, 12:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Charlie,

Your explanation makes sense, I used 800x600 for a long time and back then I
didn't have this line problem. I can't pinpoint the time when it changed,
but I did move up to 1024x768, which is where I will stay as long as I can.
My 17" LCD works fine at this resolution (not it's highest) and the font
size (I use large fonts) is visible, and I only know of one program I have
that forces me to use the small fonts mode.

Thanks for the help...and I may take a look at Outlook someday.

jc

Old October 25th 06, 05:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Charlie Tame

Well I use Outlook at work but to be honest I don't really use anything in
it that isn't in OE. Usually if I want to send a decent looking document I
compose it in word and send it as an attachment anyway