importing old idx, mbx and dbx files

Old October 8th 06, 07:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shinano

Default importing old idx, mbx and dbx files

I am trying restore some old e-mail back up, or perhaps more correctly
copies, from a European Windows 95 Outlook Express.

The copies are in 2 folders:

No. 1 contains 138 idx files, 138 mbx files and 1 nch file.
No. 2 contains 60 dbx files.

I know that each folder contains files from different versions of Outlook
Express, but I am not sure which folder contains which version.

I am trying to restore these files to a Japanese version of Microsoft
Outlook 2003.

I have made a couple of attempts to try to import them into Outlook Express
Version 6 residing on the Japanese machine, but I get an error message
telling me that the program does not find any messages, that the necessary
files are open in a different program, and that I should either choose
another folder, or close the program that is using the files.

Any ideas how I get around this problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

Old October 8th 06, 11:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
David Guess

OE4's IDX/MBX Import:

When importing, select the folder that contains the folder with those files
in it. Example:

Idx/Mbx files are in C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Mail folder.

You would select the C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft folder for
import. The Mail folder is expected to be there and OE6 willl look for it.

OE5/6 DBX Import

The Folders.dbx file must be there. Required. It contains the folder
structure.

The can reside in any folder and whatever folder they do reside in, must not
be on a removable drive (flash, CD, etc) or be marked as Read Only.

File | Import | Messages | Microsoft Outlook Express 6 | Import mail from an
OE6 store directory. Press Browse then navigate to the folder which contains
the DBX files, select it to highlight it, then press OK and finish up the
import.

That should help you get them imported, if there are further problems, post
back. Not familar with the language or wording but that should get you close
to it.

Old October 8th 06, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shinano

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, it did not work. Neither for the EDX/MBX nor for
the DBX files.

Any suggestions for the next approach?

Thanks.

Old October 8th 06, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shinano

Thanks. Unfortunately, it did not work. Be it the IDX/MBX files or the DBX
files. I get the same error message.

Any suggestions for a second approach?

Old October 8th 06, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
David Guess

Ok, where are the files currently located? On a hard drive atached to the
computer or just networked in?

If it's networked,that counts as a removable drive.

Let's start from there then and get the location first.

Old October 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

A few important things.

The files must be on the local hard drive for the PC that you are doing
the import on.

The files must not be marked Read Only. Right click the files and
select Properties and then the General tab.

For the OE4 MBX/IDX files, they must be in a folder named MAIL For the
import, you tell OE you are importing OE4 messages and that the folder
to import from is the one that contains the MAIL folder, not the MAIL
folder itself. For example, if the files are in the folder
C:\olddata\mail, you tell OE to import C:\olddata.

For the OE5/6 DBX files, you must have the corresponding FOLDERS.DBX
file. If not, you can use the following procedu
How to import a single mail folder (*.dbx)
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx
For an alternate description, see the last paragraph he
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

For additional information, see:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE4
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

Old October 9th 06, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

As Michael suggests, try the method in the last paragraph on this page:
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx to inidivdually import dbx files.

For the mbx files, you can try MBXtract (www.oehelp.com/MBXtract/), but it
may not work due to the double byte character set used by Asian Windows
machines.

steve