Mail Removed From Server when "Leave a copy.." is selected

Old October 4th 06, 04:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
GoCoogs

Default Mail Removed From Server when "Leave a copy.." is selected

Hello group,

Mail is being removed from our POP3 server whenever a user downloads
messages. The "Leave a copy of messages on server" checkbox is
selected.

This started after this user moved ALL of his DBX files to a his second
hard drive (D) because his main hard drive (C) is getting full.

Any insights on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks,

-Blake

Old October 4th 06, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Does he have more than one PC, one version of OE or more than one
account in OE for that mail account? ALL of them must have the Leave A
copy checked or else the message get removed.

You may want to try recording a pop3.log which will show more details
about incoming mail.

To create an POP3.log In OE5+, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance,
Troubleshooting and check the Mail box.
You may need to close OE after doing the send/receive for the log to get
written to disk.
The log will be in the Store Folder which is listed in Tools, Options,
Maintenance, Store Folder.

Looking at the log, if OE issues a DELE command for each RETR message,
then OE is removing the messages. IF the Leave a copy is checked, that
could indicate a corrupted registry for that identity and try creating
another identity.

If the DELE commands aren't there, then that instance of OE is not the
problem. Some other instance, mail program, etc. is doing it.

oups.com...

Old October 10th 06, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
GoCoogs

The user has OE installed on two computers, a Mac and a PC. When I
asked him how he knew the messages were being taken off of the server
he said he could see that messages that he could see on his Mac weren't
there anymore after hit the Send/Receive button on his PC software.

I don't have physical or remote access to his machine so I will pass
along the instructions about the log to him and have him send it to me.

Thanks for your help.

Old October 10th 06, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

If I understand him correctly. He sees some messages on his MAC. When
he goes to the PC he doesn't see the message that his MAC had. In that
case it sounds like the MAC doesn't have the Leave a copy on server
option.

If he is saying that he sees messages on his MAC and they disappear on
the MAC after viewing on the PC, then either there is an issue on the
MAC (such as hiding read messages and not really the PC doing anything)
or you are not dealing with a POP3 mail server. There's no way for the
PC to erase the messages that the MAC downloaded via POP3 to itself.

If you are dealing with an HTTP (Hotmail/MSN) or IMAP server, then
PC/MAC mirror what's on the server. Whatever changes are made on the
server or PC or MAC get reflected on the others. So deleting messages
in one place deletes then everywhere.

One additional thing to watch out for. Some mail services allow for
both IMAP and POP3 access to the same account. If one PC/MAC accesses
via POP3 and doesn't use the Leave a Copy on server, the messages will
disappear from the IMAP view.

Note that "Leave a Copy on server" only applies to POP3 access.
IMAP/HTTP always leave a copy until the message is explicitly deleted.

oups.com...

Old October 12th 06, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
GoCoogs

I just found out that the user w/ the problem is using Outlook 2003.

All of the people here check one email account addition to their
personal emails. It is the general email for everyone that is having
the problem. We know the messages are getting deleted b/c some users
have email messages that others do not. So the users who have messages
downloaded their messages before the problem user downloaded his and
erased them.

This is the conversation I had w/ the problem user:

ME: you clicked on Tools Accounts Mail Properties Advanced and
clicked "Leave a copy of messages on server" ?

HIM: that is correct

ME: How do you know the messages are being taken off of the server?

HIM: Can see that on my Mac software and notice, as I have 2 machine
running that the other one does not see it any more. All the mail that
I donwload with Outlook disappears from the server.

Should I take this to an Outlook 2003 group?

Thanks for all of your help.

ME:
Michael Santovec wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old October 12th 06, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

You can check with the Outlook group for the correct setting, but I
found this for Outlook 2003:

To set the Leave a copy of messages on the server option, follow these
steps:
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
- Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
- Click your POP3 e-mail account, and then click Change.
- Click More Settings.
- On the Advanced tab, click to select the Leave a copy of messages on
the server check box, and then click OK.

Every Computer and Mail Program that accesses that account MUST have the
Leave a copy setting or else they will have problems.

All it takes is one person setting up a new computer, mail program or
account and forgetting that option (which is OFF by Default in most mail
programs) and the mail will disappear.

ps.com...

Michael Santovec wrote:
[...]

oups.com...