Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close: comc

Old September 30th 06, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Smileyk

Default Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close: comc

HELP! This morning I tried to open Outlook Express and I got:
Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close

When getting more info it is referencing comctl32.dll

I've tried reinstalling SP2 and just about every update I've found on my 3
hours of searching today. IE is fine, it's just Outlook Express that won't
open.

Any suggestions?
Old September 30th 06, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Start he http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data loss
in the futu
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-98af2256ccc3

This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook
Express/WinXP SP2.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old October 1st 06, 10:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Try going to Start | Run and type msconfig and then disable all startup
items and non-MS services and reboot. Then see if you have the same issue.
If you don't, then one of those startup items is the culprit.

steve