Black screen on Outlook Express after downloading Office 2000

Old September 23rd 06, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Karen Woods

Default Black screen on Outlook Express after downloading Office 2000

I bought a new computer thru Dell with Windows XP and Outlook Express as my
email provider this past June 2006. I needed Word and Excell and Publisher
but
this package did not include any Microsoft Office programs. I had an old
Office 2000 disk I had purchased and still had the code so I downloaded the
first of two disks, that had Word, Outlook, Excell, and some other tools.
When prompted on set up I told Outlook that it was not my preferred email as
I thought it would be the old version and I didn't want it to override my
Outlook Express 6.0.
Everything installed seemingly fine but now if I try to open my email with
Outlook Express desktop icon I get this message over a black OE screen:

16 bit MS-Dos Subsystem
NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS:054e IP:0100 OP: FF FF FF FF FF

I uninstalled Office 2000, tried a system restore, (no help),
looked at properties on the desktop icon for OE and the Target box was not
lit up and just said "email". I did a Run for "C:\Program Files\Outlook
Express\msism.exe" and got a message that said Windows cannot find this file.
I did a Search for the same one and got the OE folder with 9 out of the 12
files in it saying they were modified on 9/21, the date I installed the
Office 2000 disk. They included the msimn.exe file, wab, wabmig, setup50,
etc. I tried to open them but they were the same black screens with the
same message of

NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

I called Dell technical support who took over the computer and googled for
the MS-DOS Subsystem message but advised me that I should save all
my files and do a complete PC restore back to when it was shipped in June .

It will mean I lose all the saved
messages in my OE and my address book, and I have a lot of critical business
and
personal emails saved that I do not want erased. Also it means reinstalling
many other programs that are on the computer, like my printer, scanner,
camera, etc. Please tell me there is a fix that won't do that to me! I
have scoured the Microsoft files using the exact error message contents but
can't
find anything like this. Did the Office 2000 do this and should I throw it
away? Is there some update I don't have for Office 2000?
I am accessing my email account thru webmail right now.

I am totally frustrated! and not a computer educated person to know where
else to look for a solution. I started this thread on the Outlook discussion
group and they sent me here.... Please Help!

Karen
Old September 23rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias~-

Karen Woods wrote:
I bought a new computer thru Dell with Windows XP and Outlook Express as my
email provider this past June 2006. I needed Word and Excell and Publisher
but
this package did not include any Microsoft Office programs. I had an old
Office 2000 disk I had purchased and still had the code so I downloaded the
first of two disks, that had Word, Outlook, Excell, and some other tools.

Downloaded? From where? I didn't know you could download office with
just the product key number. Or, are you saying to *installed* Office
from a CD?

Search for .dbx after configuring Windows Explorer to show hidden files.
Go to the folder where the .dbx files are kept. Copy *all* you find in
this Outlook Express folder to, preferably, a flash drive or an external
hard drive. That way, you will still have your Outlook Express messages
and address book. Copy any data you've created to a flash or external drive.

NOW, try solving the problem, which, from the sound of things will
involve using the Dell Restore disk and reinstalling all the programs.
Install Office right after you install XP and the corresponding Windows
updates. Be sure and do a clean up, defrag, set a restore point first.

Alias
Old September 23rd 06, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken

I believe the Address Book is located in a different folder then the .dbx
files.

My Address Book has a .wab file extension.

Ken

Old September 23rd 06, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Karen Woods

........amazingly since I posted the question I found a back door into my
email addresses accidently when I opened a window on Earthlink (my DLS
provider) to go to my email thru webmail. If you click on tools it has a
choice that says Mail or News and lets you open a new message, which linked
me to my OE toolbar address book thru the new message window. I copied
every address out of my address book thru this new message window, but I
could not find a way to navigate into the full OE program from this new
message or to the other Saved messages folders that are so critical to save,
so I am off to the computer store to buy a flash drive (and some aspirin).
Life is really complicated!
--
Karen

Old September 23rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken

Hi Karen,

You can also access your Address Book from the Desktop, choose Start, select
Programs, on the expanding menu select Accessories, on the expanding menu
choose Address Book.

When the Address Book opens choose File , on it's menu select Export, on
it's expanding menu choose Address Book (WAB).

In the "Select Address Book File to Export to" dialog window, save to a
location where you can then copy it to the Flash Drive.

Ken

"Karen Woods" wrote in message
| .......amazingly since I posted the question I found a back door into my
| email addresses accidently when I opened a window on Earthlink (my DLS
| provider) to go to my email thru webmail. If you click on tools it has a
| choice that says Mail or News and lets you open a new message, which
linked
| me to my OE toolbar address book thru the new message window. I copied
| every address out of my address book thru this new message window, but I
| could not find a way to navigate into the full OE program from this new
| message or to the other Saved messages folders that are so critical to
save,
| so I am off to the computer store to buy a flash drive (and some aspirin).
| Life is really complicated!
| --
| Karen
|

| "Ken" wrote:
|
| I believe the Address Book is located in a different folder then the
..dbx
| files.
|
| My Address Book has a .wab file extension.
|
| Ken
|
| "Alias~-" wrote in message
|
| | Karen Woods wrote:
| | I bought a new computer thru Dell with Windows XP and Outlook
Express as
| my
| | email provider this past June 2006. I needed Word and Excell and
| Publisher
| | but
| | this package did not include any Microsoft Office programs. I had
an
| old
| | Office 2000 disk I had purchased and still had the code so I
downloaded
| the
| | first of two disks, that had Word, Outlook, Excell, and some other
| tools.
| |
| | Downloaded? From where? I didn't know you could download office with
| | just the product key number. Or, are you saying to *installed* Office
| | from a CD?
| |
| | Search for .dbx after configuring Windows Explorer to show hidden
files.
| | Go to the folder where the .dbx files are kept. Copy *all* you find in
| | this Outlook Express folder to, preferably, a flash drive or an
external
| | hard drive. That way, you will still have your Outlook Express
messages
| | and address book. Copy any data you've created to a flash or external
| drive.
| |

Old September 24th 06, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ebony

To: , "Alesia Fitch" , "Alma
Fitch" , "Alma Fitch" , "Bob
McCarton" , "Brian Bohm" ,