Increase Numbers of News Headers

Old September 23rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Onetel News

Default Increase Numbers of News Headers

I have tried, without success, to increasers the numbers of news headers
that I cab access using TOOLS OPTIONS READ NEWS and then get X
headers at a time. I have inserted 500 as the figure, but I can never open
that many even in very popular news groups. It would appear the oldest news
header is about 14 days old.

Is there a date restriction as well as a numbers restriction for downloading
news headers? I would be grateful for any advice on how can I increase the
number of headers I can assess or how I can access older headers.

Many thanks

Old September 23rd 06, 09:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

Onetel News wrote:
I have tried, without success, to increasers the numbers of news
headers that I cab access using TOOLS OPTIONS READ NEWS and
then get X headers at a time. I have inserted 500 as the figure, but
I can never open that many even in very popular news groups. It would
appear the oldest news header is about 14 days old.

Is there a date restriction as well as a numbers restriction for
downloading news headers? I would be grateful for any advice on how
can I increase the number of headers I can assess or how I can access
older headers.
Many thanks

Uncheck in the little box to the left of the place you would put the
number. This will get all headers.
Be aware, however, that not all news servers behave the same. There is
no date restriction as such in OE, but news servers will have different
retention periods. Once they are gone from the server, they are gone
from OE, unless you saved a copy in a user created folder. For older
messages that aged from the server, you can search Google Groups.

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Old September 23rd 06, 10:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Onetel News

Hi Kath

I have tried this but it makes no difference, eg. microsoft.public.uk.money
only has 17 news headers going back to only 10 Sep 06. How can I trawl
headers older than 10 Sep 06?

Please confirm you meant 'uncheck' the box as the numbers has now greyed
out.

Many thanks

Brian

Old September 23rd 06, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Onetel News

Hi

I have semi-resolved the problem. I have been using my ISP's newsgroup
(news.onetel.net.uk) which appears to limit the downloads. When I use
'msnews.microsoft.com' a my news account there isn't a problem.
Unfortunately this account does not allow me access to non-Microsoft news
groups.

Can anyone recommend me the address of a good newsgroup which does not limit
the number of news headers?

Many thanks.

Old September 23rd 06, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

You can have more than one news server (news account). Use the
Microsoft news server for the Microsoft newsgroups and your ISPs for
other newsgroups.

Pretty much all news servers have some limit on how long they keep
messages. I believe the Microsoft server is 60 days. If you need to
go far back, most people use Google which you have to do via the web
interface.

For some other news servers, see:
Free and Public Usenet News Servers
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

Old September 25th 06, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Andy Petro

"Onetel News" wrote in message
Hi

I have semi-resolved the problem. I have been using my ISP's
newsgroup
(news.onetel.net.uk) which appears to limit the downloads.
When I use
'msnews.microsoft.com' a my news account there isn't a
problem.
Unfortunately this account does not allow me access to
non-Microsoft news
groups.

Can anyone recommend me the address of a good newsgroup
which does not limit
the number of news headers?

Many thanks.

Try " free.teranews.com"