Page Cannot be Displayed

Old September 10th 06, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
oldad

Default Page Cannot be Displayed

Earthlink cable
Dell XPS Gen4; Win XP pro; IE6 sp2;Trend micro Internet Security 2006

On many sites when the page comes up , parts of "This page cannot be displayed" appear in various parts of the page and on some sites I can see the faint word "Advertisement"

All other parts of the page are shown with no problem.
I have turned off both firewalls..same problem

Have followed instructions in This page (when I can see the entire Page cannot be,etc" (Auto detect settings; checks in SSL2.0,SSL3.0,TLS1.0 PCT1.0) still sameproblem.

To me it seems that it is blocking ads and I don't know what I have done to cause this, Havve checked all settings in tools but no idea what settings might have caused this.
Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old September 10th 06, 11:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Use the following newsgroup for questions or problems with IE6

You can also get to the Internet Explorer newsgroups via this web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.mspx
There select Internet Explorer

You posted in the newsgroup for help with the Outlook Express that comes
with IE6.

One thing that can cause that is installing a HOSTS file that blocks
various domains by overriding the DNS. As an example, see:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Perhaps you or someone else on your PC installed that some time

Old September 11th 06, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Pop`

oldad wrote:
Earthlink cable
Dell XPS Gen4; Win XP pro; IE6 sp2;Trend micro Internet Security 2006

On many sites when the page comes up , parts of "This page cannot be
displayed" appear in various parts of the page and on some sites I
can see the faint word "Advertisement"

All other parts of the page are shown with no problem.
I have turned off both firewalls..same problem

Have followed instructions in This page (when I can see the entire
Page cannot be,etc" (Auto detect settings; checks in
SSL2.0,SSL3.0,TLS1.0 PCT1.0) still sameproblem.

To me it seems that it is blocking ads and I don't know what I have
done to cause this, Havve checked all settings in tools but no idea
what settings might have caused this.
Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It sounds like you have a HOSTS file incorporated. The HOSTS file is
located at:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS (HOSTS has no file extension).

and is usually a very small file (a few k in size) if it's the default HOSTS
file.

To find out if it's the HOSTS file causing it, simply rename it to something
lke HOSTS.old and see if the problem goes away. The HOSTS file does more
than this, but in this case what it's doing is keeping you from having to
wade thru all the advertisements and crap from, shall we say, less savory
web sites? It's simply a text file, so you can read the sites in it quite
easily. It's a very useful feature.

To make it work again, just rename it back. NOTE: Be SURE to keep the name
ALL CAPS; if it's not HOSTS, it won't be working.
Google is your freind for this one!

Regards,

Pop`