Lock Outlook Express Toolbar

Old September 3rd 06, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
carl

Default Lock Outlook Express Toolbar

Does anyone know how to lock Outlook Express 6 toolbar on XP home SP2
I was able to lock IE toolbar in the registery but can't find a way to lock
OE's

Thanks
Old September 3rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

AFAIK it can't be Locked. Are you seeing toolbar components disappear from time to time, or even the toolbar itself, Carl?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Old September 3rd 06, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
carl

Yes the toolbar is going missing from time to time. It is my fathers computer
and his mind is just about gone, always though he was changing the settings.
Could this be a problem with OE?

Old September 3rd 06, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

More likely, it's someone playing around the dotted lines at the upper left
hand corner of the screen with the mouse button depressed. You might want to
try it on you own computer to see some interesting variations of changing
appearance using "drag/drop" of the menu bars.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old September 4th 06, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

See Jim's reply.

Also, seeing some or all toolbar buttons disappear during an OE session isn't that unusual for many users. The workaround is simply to change OE's focus (in Folder pane) to "Outlook Express" and then return to the folder in which you'd been working. I have to do this from time to time.

There is a more serious toolbar problem but it's not seen very often anymore so it's unlikely to be the cause of your dad's problem:

Toolbars disappear from Message Composition windows or the main OE window
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#notoolbars

While I have your attention, here are some tips for keeping OE in good shape:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update, installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data loss in the futu http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-98af2256ccc3

This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook Express/WinXP SP2.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause corruption (problems or even loss of messages). Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--

Carl wrote:

Yes the toolbar is going missing from time to time. It is my fathers
computer and his mind is just about gone, always though he was changing the
settings. Could this be a problem with OE?

paste

Old September 6th 06, 02:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shuttlecock

win98se, oe6
I just had a blank toolbar when I read this. g
Then I remembered that oe doesn't use the toolbar background color...
it uses the message-box color[?] like the taskbar does.
I use Desktop Architect on win98se to change my theme about 12 times a
day... so, I changed back to a theme that the toobar-text color would
show up on the message-box background and I have my toolbar buttons
again.
Hope that helps... L8r.