How do I prevent IE6 from automatically "compacting"?

« ΞΟΧΟΣΤΙ | m »

Old August 15th 06, 12:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
D. W. K.

Default How do I prevent IE6 from automatically "compacting"?

Hello to all! Does anyone know how I can prevent IE6 from automatically
"compacting" every so often on its own?

The problem is that every time it does this it takes forever to do it and
when it is done my entire computer runs incredibly SLOOOOOOOOOW!!

This is extremely aggravating to me! I don't know why it has this effect on
my computer but every single button click, selection or other action after a
"compacting" event responds in glacial time for at least the first 15
minutes or more for each program I open up!

Thank you,

DWK
Simi Valley, CA
USA

Old August 15th 06, 12:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"D. W. K." wrote in message
Hello to all! Does anyone know how I can prevent IE6 from automatically
"compacting" every so often on its own?

The problem is that every time it does this it takes forever to do it and
when it is done my entire computer runs incredibly SLOOOOOOOOOW!!

This is extremely aggravating to me! I don't know why it has this effect
on my computer but every single button click, selection or other action
after a "compacting" event responds in glacial time for at least the first
15 minutes or more for each program I open up!

Thank you,

DWK
Simi Valley, CA
USA

DWK, with all due respect, you would be better to allow OE to compact your
folders.
Back up first then let it run, "do not" touch anything until it completes.
Work offline.
Every message that you ever deleted remains in the .dbx file of it's folder,
thus leading to large files = corruption in OE
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

This is a new feature in OE under XP-SP2, it replaces the 'back ground'
compaction feature.
You will get that prompt to compact after 100
OE closings,

To stop it - for now!!

Go to: StartRunRegeditOK and find this key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{long number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0. In the right
hand pane and find *Compact Check Count* right clickmodifydecimaland set
the value to 0,
(zero). This will reset the prompt, and you won't see it again for
another 100 closings.

FYI:
Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of *OE Tool*
that will Compact All Folders, and at the same time,
resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
manually.
You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
before 100 closings.
http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

See this for more information on compacting:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

See this part, but read all the article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...filecorruption....
HTH?

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. IE/OE.

Old August 15th 06, 12:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
--Alias--

D. W. K. wrote:
Hello to all! Does anyone know how I can prevent IE6 from automatically
"compacting" every so often on its own?

Do you mean Outlook Express or Internet Explorer? If IE6 is compacting,
you indeed have a problem no one, I am sure, has ever heard of.

The problem is that every time it does this it takes forever to do it and
when it is done my entire computer runs incredibly SLOOOOOOOOOW!!

This is extremely aggravating to me! I don't know why it has this effect on
my computer but every single button click, selection or other action after a
"compacting" event responds in glacial time for at least the first 15
minutes or more for each program I open up!

Thank you,

DWK
Simi Valley, CA
USA

You need to give us more information about how you maintain, or if you
maintain, Outlook Express, which I am sure you really meant to say
rather than IE6. Do you store a lot of messages in Inbox and Sent Items?
Do you know how big these files are?

Alias
Old August 15th 06, 07:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Your headers (Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2527) tell me that you're
running outdated and much less-secure versions of OE, IE and Windows! Check
in at Windows Update /immediately/ and install all critical updates offered.

Who knows? Doing so might address your "slow computer" problem (which
cannot be being caused by Windows having automatically compacted your OE
store).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old August 15th 06, 09:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

In addition to the others' comments, see www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2 There
is a new patch that addresses the compaction issue.

steve

Old August 17th 06, 11:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"D. W. K." wrote in message
Hello to all! Does anyone know how I can prevent IE6 from automatically
"compacting" every so often on its own?

The problem is that every time it does this it takes forever to do it and
when it is done my entire computer runs incredibly SLOOOOOOOOOW!!

This is extremely aggravating to me! I don't know why it has this effect
on my computer but every single button click, selection or other action
after a "compacting" event responds in glacial time for at least the
first 15 minutes or more for each program I open up!

Thank you,

DWK
Simi Valley, CA
USA

After you follow PA Bear's instructions, also follow Steve's. The update
Steve refers to is not considered a critical update. Once that update is
installed you can manually compact at your own convenience and the counter
will be reset to 0.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old September 12th 06, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
D. W. K.

With all due respect to all of you, and I appreciate your attempts to help,
but I DO NOT WANT OE6 DOING ANY COMPACTING! I understand the need for this
but the way Microsoft designed the software it wreaks havoc on the operating
speed of my computer for quite some time afterwards!

I do have a lot of files but they are in separate folders. Anyway, thanks
for offering the help. I have to go... DWK

Old September 12th 06, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Do this before you reach 100 closings of OE:

Go to: StartRunRegeditOK and find this key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for Identity
\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0. In the right hand pane and find
*Compact Check Count* and set the value to 0, (zero).

But do it at your own risk. You will lose messages at some point if you
never compact.

I don't know why compacting slows your machine down. It speeds up everyone
else's just like Defragging does.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old September 12th 06, 02:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tom Willett

IE 6 doesn't compact. It's not your email program. Perhaps you mean OE6?

Old September 12th 06, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

If you don't want OE6 to do any compacting, uninstall WinXP SP2. Otherwise,
learn to live with/in spite of it.
--
~PA Bear