Font size for mail messages won't stay where set in OPTIONS

Old August 8th 06, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Hirsch

Default Font size for mail messages won't stay where set in OPTIONS

I'm running OE version 6.00.2900.2180

I've set a particular font, font size, and background for my personal e-mail
messages, which are always sent in HTML. This is all set under
TOOLOPTIONSCOMPOSE

The font I've selected is "Comic Sans MS", at 14 points

When I click on the "create" icon, a new blank message window shows up, with
my custom background displayed. The font setting box is blank, until I click
in the document, and then it displays "Comic Sans MS" - so far so good.

But the point size always shows as 12, not the "14" I've called for. So I
have to manually use the dropdown box to change it to 14 everytime I start a
new message.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Ron Hirsch

Old August 8th 06, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

That sounds like you are using a Stationery template to create your new
mail. Look at the code within that template for the correct font and
size.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail

Old August 9th 06, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Hirsch

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm missing something here. I created a new message, and went into
VIEWSOURCE EDITEDIT, and saw that the font is set at 12 points. I changed
that to 14 points, clicked back on the EDIT tab, and did a FILESAVE. But
that just saved the blank message in the DRAFTS folder.

What should I do to save the edited HTML file so that it comes up properly
at 14 points when I create a new e-mail message?

Ron Hirsch

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old August 9th 06, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Are you using Stationery? Look at Tools, Options, Compose.

If so, then see:
How to Edit Stationery Using an HTML Editor
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=180819

Old August 9th 06, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Hirsch

Michael,

The link you offered does not list OE 6 as applicable, and what is does say
are only things that I have already done.

If you read my message to Jim, you will note that I have used the
TOOLSOPTIONSCOMPOSE to establish my stationery. And, I have gone into the
HTML edit mode to correct the 12 points to 14 points for the type.

In all the setup activities, the point size has been set at 14, but it
continues to default to 12 when I create a new message. It does show as 14
in the COMPOSE window.

Ron Hirsch

++++++++++++++++++

Old August 10th 06, 12:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Try composing via Message | New Message using | No stationery. Then see if
the font size is correct.

If that works, then you are composing with a stationery htm file and you
have to change the font designation in that file prior to composition. You
can edit the stationery file with Notepad.

steve

Old August 10th 06, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Hirsch

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. That did the trick. It never dawned on me that the
stationery file would also control the font size, The "Compose" dialog
window has settings for stationery, and font & font size. So I assumed that
it would properly handle things. It does show the special font I selected in
the Compose window, but not the point size fromthe COmpose window.

I have to believe that when I setup the original stationery use, that the
default font size was set at 12 points, and the special font I chose. But I
later changed it to 14 points. One would think that the code controlling
these types of things would have updated the stationery html file. But alas,
it does not seem to.

Thanks again.

Ron Hirsch

Old August 10th 06, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Hi Ron,

Glad you got it figured out.

As long as you remove the font stipulation for the BODY in the HTML, then
you can change the font in OE. But such a stipulation overrides any changes
you try to make.

cheers,

steve