Failure of Rules Processing -- 2

Old August 10th 06, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Norman Litell

Default Failure of Rules Processing -- 2

Antioch,
1. The spam has come in both text and gif forms.
2. I am already using EarthLink's spam blocking option at the ISP email
level -- what I am trying to do here is handle the spam that get through
that filter.

Norman

"antioch" wrote in message

"Norman Litell" wrote in message
k.net...
Following up on my earlier post on this subject, it appears that the

Rules
processing operation may get confused ..............................

Heavy clipping for clarity :-)

Hello Norman

I have not read you original thread, so excuse me if I am asking what has
been asked already.
The main gist of your problem seems to be for setting message rules to

block
email spam.
Just two questions -
1. What type/form is this spam - text or .gif(coloured type and
background - bit like a picture)
2. Have you contacted your ISP - can they block these spams and save to

you
mail box.
Rgds
Antioch

Old August 10th 06, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Norman Litell

Gary,
see clipped email example below -- this is the actual message from Message
Source, with my own email address deleted from the TO: list.

From: "Lavern"
To: ,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,

Subject: pretension ....
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:12:07 -0600

html
High Quality Luxury R*e*p*l*i*ca W.a.t.c.h.es ... Rolex and more!brbr
a href="http://supportpluss.com"Click Here/abrbrbrbr
Kory was at comedy when that happened
invade. chilblain at graphic or even shim as in abnormal
brbr
Andrew was at comedy when that happened
maitre. terminal at cook or even distillery as in thiamin
brbr
Sonja was at calvert when that happened
cook. maw at component or even depredate as in vicious
/html
Here is the rule that I am using to try to stop this type of message
(clipped from the actual rule in the Tools menu):

Apply this rule after the message arrives

Where the To line contains ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or '
or ' or ' or
' or ' or '
or ' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or '
or ' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or '

Delete it

and Stop processing more rules

Hope this clarifies things. While this is not the first rule, there is no
other preceeding rule which would accept this message and stop the
processing. The only one rule which precedes it is:

Allow blank TO: field (almost never happens, but nearly always legitimate --
check for presence of @, and if no @ in TO: field, stop processing)

Norman

"Gary Smith" wrote in message
I tried an example of what I think you mean, and it worked fine for me.
Could you provide a specific example that fails? Fake the addresses if
you wish, but explain what's in the rule and in the To and CC headers.

Please also mention the Windows and OE version you're using, including
service packs. The behavior of the various combinations can be quite
different.

If what you're seeing is in fact an error in the software, you can be sure
that nothing will be done about it at this point.

Norman Litell wrote:
Bruce,
I am afraid that what we have here is a failure to communicate. While I
appreciate your input, I fail to see the relevance of your suggestion to

my
problem; so let me try once more to clarify the issue as I see it.

Spam comes FROM lots of random email addresses, and in my experience,

few of
them are from Earthlink. Whenever I get a new spam message, I add the
sender (or the domain) to my Blocked Senders list. However, it is

seldom
that I find the same FROM address in multiple spam messages so

populating
the Blocked Sender list this way is likely a "nice" but almost

irrelevant
process. For the same reason, using message rules instead of the

Blocked
Sender list on the FROM side of the problem seems like a futile effort.

However, what I do find is that I get lots of spam which consistently

has
the following basic characteristics:
-- Each message has a different FROM address.
-- Each message is sent to a large list of addressees, either via the

TO:
line or the CC: line.
-- There are a number of email address from a variety of domains which
consistently appear in the addressee list.

Since I am observing the same addressees in the TO: and CC: fields, it

seems
to make sense to delete any message that has this characteristic -- that

is,
at least one of the addressees is in my rule's address list. And

indeed, my
rule works part of the time -- this is, when the message is addressed to
ONLY ONE addressee, and that addressee is in my list. (How I get this
message is unclear -- perhaps via a BCC: entry -- but that seems to be
irrelevant since I cannot create a rule relating to a BCC.

My problem is that the rule fails when the message has more than one
addressee. THIS IS NOT LOGICAL IN MY MIND, AND SEEMS TO ME TO BE A

FAILURE
OF THE RULES PROCESSING MECHANISM. That is what I was trying to get at

in
this post, and what I tried to explain in detail in the first message in
this post.

Norman

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Norman:

Why have you not tried my suggestion of blocking everyone with an

address
From Earthlink, EXCEPT the people you want to allow? I will give it to

you
again.

You need two message rules and the first one must be above the second.

They
should be the first rules after all your Delete it from server rules.

Rule 1:

Box 1: Where the from line contains people
Box 2: Stop processing more rules
Box 3: Click on Contains people and Add the addresses you want to

receive
one-at-a time.

Rule 2: (right below rule 1).

Where the from line contains people
Delete it and Stop processing more rules (or Delete it from the

server)
Click on Contains People and Add the domain: @earthlink.net

Messages to yourself and anyone else that you wish to allow that uses
earthlink will go to the Inbox. All others will be deleted.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

"Norman Litell" wrote in message
ink.net...
Bob,

I haven't tried what you suggested, as it misses the basic point of

my
problem.

Most of my spam contains a specific and limited set of email

addresses
in
either the TO: or CC: fields of the message. Nearly all of these

are of
the
form .

I clearly cannot block all email from standard email domains such as
earthlink, yahoo, hotmail, etc., so your domain-level example does

not
address my problem.

To repeat my issue and example once again:

1.. Please look at my post of 8/3/06 at 5:50pm to see an example of

the
rule which has approx 50 email addresses in it.

2.. If I get an email with
as the ONE
and
ONLY
addressee, the rule works and the email is deleted.
Similarly, if I get an email with
as the
ONE
and ONLY addressee, the rule works and the email is deleted.

3.. If I get an email with BOTH
AND
as addressees (again, both names are in my

single
multi-address rule), the rule fails.

The only way I can see to make the rules system work for example 3

is to
have two separate rules, each of which has only one entry - either

ronk124
or Yered. That leads to a situation where I would need to create

hundreds
of rules instead of just one or two large rules which 'or' the bad
addresses.

Norman

"Opinicus" wrote in message
"Norman Litell" wrote

1. I get lots of spam.
2. From what I can see going through each of these spam

messages,
MOST
OF
this spam includes a limited set of addressees in either the TO:

or
CC:
part
of the email.
3. I have never received a relevant email which included any one

of
this
set of spam-associated email addressees in either the TO: or CC:
address
list.
4. I therefore want to Delete any and all emails which include

at
least
one
of these spam-associated addressees in either the TO: or CC: list

of
addressees.

I just created a mail rule that says:

/begin rule
Where CC line contains
@spamcop.net
@... [more domains]

Delete it and stop processing more rules.
/end rule

It seems to work.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio

Old August 11th 06, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
antioch

"Norman Litell" wrote in message
nk.net...
Antioch,
1. The spam has come in both text and gif forms.
2. I am already using EarthLink's spam blocking option at the ISP email
level -- what I am trying to do here is handle the spam that get through
that filter.

Norman

Heavy clipping again for clarity :-)

Thanks for the reply - I didnt know if I should post here or the other
place. Sorry to distract you from your quest. I can add no more so shall
just watch.
Might be a good idea to let others know this thread is closed - it would
make it easier for you - and others to follow - in partic me - I am hoping
to see a conclusion.
My sympathy over the inability of your ISP to block the spam.
Mine is able to block 90% in my 'honeypot' email address.
Rgds
Antioch

Old August 12th 06, 08:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

That certainly looks like it should work. What version of Windows and OE
are you using? I'm using Win 2K, so if you're using XP oe ME, my
experiences won't help a bit.

From: "Lavern"
To: ,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,

Old August 12th 06, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Norman Litell

Gary,
I am using W2KPro with OE6 (latest versions/updates installed).

From: "Lavern"
To: ,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,

Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:12:07 -0600

[...]

'
or ' or ' or
' or ' or

'
or ' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or
' or ' or

'

Norman Litell wrote:
[...]

From Earthlink, EXCEPT the people you want to allow? I will give

it to

Old August 13th 06, 06:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

Well, it certainly looks to me as if your rule should have worked. I have
no idea why it doesn't. I guess if I were dealing with it, I'd try
breaking the rule up into several in case there's a problem with to many
conditions. Maybe start with two addresses and keep adding more until it
breaks?

From: "Lavern"
To: ,
,