Line breaks

Old July 30th 06, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank

Default Line breaks

Is this line break problem in my configuration or the posters?
If mine how do I correct. _See the carats_.

Back again now ready to put my personal files and settings on the
second

^^^^^^^^^
partition. What is the best way to do it , where do I split it, at
what

^^^^^^
level . What is the most common way to do it. Do I move the Document
and

^^^^^^^
setting folder or the next step down only my personal folder and all
what is
inside. I hope it is not too confusing

BTW I need only a data partition , I won't install WIN 98 anymore as I
want
before. What do
most expert do.
Do they keep OS and program files on one partition and the rest on the
other.
As I understand one would save an ISO image of the first partition to
be
safe and a back up of the second which can be done on a regular basis.
Am I right or there is better way. Just learning here

TIA

Old July 30th 06, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

It could be either. If the poster is not wrapping at 76 characters, (or
close to it), that's one cause.

If it looks better if you open the message in its own window, rather that
viewing in the Preview Pane, you may not be using the screen resolution that
is recommended by the manufacturer.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 30th 06, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank

I haven't used a preview pane for years. I also have things
set for text only. I use 72 because of the with replies.
All messages do not exhibit this behavior.

Old July 30th 06, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

If it isn't all messages, it is most likely on the senders end.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 30th 06, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Line wrapping is controlled by the sender/poster.

In the case you show, that will occur if the last poster does not have
his line wrap at least 2 more than the previous poster (to allow for the
and space). Which leads to a problem, since everyone can't have their

line wrap settings at least 2 more than everyone else.

Old July 31st 06, 03:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Sarah

Default outgoing line breaks

My own outgoing messages have irregular line breaks, no
matter where I set my wrap. Lines are of varying lengths
for no apparent reason. If I edit the outgoing message to
get rid of ridiculously short lines, by hitting delete to
get rid of what would be hard or soft returns in word
processing, the same or a different stupid line break gets
in.

I just had two message go out looking just awful, with no
logic to the right "margin" at all. (I'd copy them but the
subject matter is not one I am inclined to share, since it
involves other people's financial matters.)

Is there anything I can do to force OE to wrap correctly?

Sarah

Old July 31st 06, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

From this post, it looks like your wrapping is set for about 56. Change it
to 76. The text doesn't actually wrap until it is sent to the Outbox.

Remember, what you see is not necessarily what someone else may see due to
their screen resolution settings.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 31st 06, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
phants

"Sarah" wrote in message
My own outgoing messages have irregular line breaks, no matter where I set
my wrap. Lines are of varying lengths for no apparent reason. If I edit
the outgoing message to get rid of ridiculously short lines, by hitting
delete to get rid of what would be hard or soft returns in word
processing, the same or a different stupid line break gets in.

I just had two message go out looking just awful, with no logic to the
right "margin" at all. (I'd copy them but the subject matter is not one I
am inclined to share, since it involves other people's financial matters.)

Is there anything I can do to force OE to wrap correctly?

Sarah

Setting a line length (at 78 or less - down to 72) will keep each line from
wrapping, and leaving one or two words on the next line - yes, BUT -

There seems to be a "paragraph limit" that also causes a wrap, of sorts.
When composing a letter, pause and close it... You will be asked if you want
to save it. Say yes and you will find it in the DRAFTS folder. Open it again
and it will be shown just as if it had been sent - lines wrapped - and
paragraphs wrapped (chopped off just as a line would be)

This can be done multiple times, while you re-word or rearrange sentences by
hand for formatting... a real pain - but I have not been able to find
another way around this...

Old July 31st 06, 04:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Sarah

Actually, that message looked better than many that go out.
I had set my news Send wrap to 60, since at 76 some lines
were so much longer than others.
My email Send options are set at 76 at the moment, so the
differences in line length are greater than this - but this
is bad enough. In order for the line lengths as shown in
Bruce's message to stay longer than 60, I just put my news
Send back to 76.

As it appears in my Sent folder, (hoping it stays that way
when it gets to the group!)the word "get" at the beginning
of the 5th line could have been at the end of the fourth
line.

My own outgoing messages have irregular line breaks, no
matter where I set my wrap. Lines are of varying lengths
for no apparent reason. If I edit the outgoing message to
get rid of ridiculously short lines, by hitting delete to
get rid of what would be hard or soft returns in word
processing, the same or a different stupid line break gets
in.

As it appeared in Bruce's reply, the line breaks are still
goofy:

My own outgoing messages have irregular line breaks, no
matter where I set my wrap. Lines are of varying lengths
for no apparent reason. If I edit the outgoing message to
get rid of ridiculously short lines, by hitting delete to
get rid of what would be hard or soft returns in word
processing, the same or a different stupid line break gets
in.

In the message as it got to the group, there is no reason
the word "the" on the third line could not have been at the
end of the second line. Same story for the word "delete" in
the fourth line - why isn't it at the end of the third line?
Well, except I notice now that the first line is much longer
than 60! How does a message I send at 60 get changed by the
recipient's setting?

And, back to my original problem - is there any way to
encourage OE to wrap correctly?

Sarah

Old July 31st 06, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Sarah

Ah, yes, that's what I do - it can be done from Outgoing, too, not just
Drafts - but it is a major PITA. I was hoping OE could be told to do what
the line wrap setting seems to imply it will do. If Word and Word Perfect
can do it, why can't OE?

The problem is either worse in the recent past or I am finding it more
annoying. I am not sure which!

Sarah