Newsgroups

Old July 18th 06, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Mac

Default Newsgroups

How can I configure OE6 to permit me to send an e-mail reply to an
individual message from a newsgroup? When I try this and hit the
"reply" button, nothing happens. It doesn't open an email window.

Thanks.

Old July 18th 06, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

It could be a damaged identity. What happens if you try it from the Menu
Bar? Message | Reply To Sender.

Note that you shouldn't reply to a sender directly unless you are invited
to. Also, most of us use munged addresses to avoid spam, so while you
couldn't reply to me, the New Message window should still open.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 18th 06, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ted Zieglar

Unfortunately, you've made the mistake of thinking like a human being
instead of a computer. Newsgroups and email are two entirely separate
things. You can't send mail from a newsreader and you can't post a
message from an email program.

The whole idea behind newsgroups is that they are a gigantic public
bulletin board. All posts are tacked to the bulletin board for all to see.

Besides, most people who have experience with newsgroups know not to use
their real email address in a post.

---
Ted Zieglar
"Backup is a computer user's best friend."

Old July 18th 06, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"Mac" wrote in message
How can I configure OE6 to permit me to send an e-mail reply to an
individual message from a newsgroup? When I try this and hit the
"reply" button, nothing happens. It doesn't open an email window.

Thanks.

Have you tried from the message menuReply to sender.

Not much point since most posters use a dead address, similar to this

Sounds like possible corruption of your Identity?

Regards Steve.
MS-MVP.
Outlook Express.

Old July 18th 06, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Mac

Hi Bruce,

Yeah, I know it's not nettiquette, I've been posting to ngs for years, but I
always had the option to do so for friends. I've figured it out, for some
reason OE was not set as my default mail handler.

Thanks.

Old July 18th 06, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

YW.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 18th 06, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

You probably have had an update recently for Office. See
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13

steve

Old July 18th 06, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Roland Bierlein

Buenas noches: *Ted Zieglar* escribió:

Unfortunately, you've made the mistake of thinking like a human being
instead of a computer. Newsgroups and email are two entirely separate
things. You can't send mail from a newsreader and you can't post a
message from an email program.

The latter might be true, but the first definitely not. OE in any case
is a combined email and newsreader program, so no problem there.

The whole idea behind newsgroups is that they are a gigantic public
bulletin board. All posts are tacked to the bulletin board for all to see.

That's my understanding, too. Still, in parts of Usenet (the German,
for one) it is recommended custom to reply to a post by email, if the
topic has moved away from the groups topic too far, or if the
conversation has drifted off on a purely personal level.

Besides, most people who have experience with newsgroups know not to use
their real email address in a post.

It's a real pity that it has come so far! Damn those spammers!

Saludos
Roland, nonetheless with a valid and permanently checked email address
--
Probleme mit OE? Hier gibt es die Lösungen: http://oe-faq.de!

"Die Tragik des modernen Menschen ist nicht, daß er immer weniger über den Sinn
des eigenen Lebens weiß, sondern, daß ihn das immer weniger stört." (V. Havel)

Newsgroups Andy Roden Outlook - General Queries 1 July 1st 06 10:27 PM
newsgroups Ken Dykema Outlook Express 2 February 10th 06 10:21 AM
NEWSGROUPS Mickey Outlook Express 5 February 3rd 06 09:54 PM
newsgroups Jack Tuma Outlook Express 2 January 20th 06 08:25 PM