Delete Button grayed out.........

Old July 16th 06, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
§hirley

Default Delete Button grayed out.........

Hello;
I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Only when I click on a message in OE Newsgroups, does the Delete button gray
out. Any help to correct this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Shirley

Old July 16th 06, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I'm a little confused looking at your message headers:

In Help | about: scroll down to msoe.dll. If the number there is
6.00.2900.2869 that's good. If not, get to Windows Updates ASAP.

If all is well there the problem may be a damaged identity especially if it
is the default Main Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a
new one and test it. If all is well, you can import your messages from the
old identity and delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 16th 06, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
§hirley

My Dear Bruce;
I can't thank you enough, your suggestion to check windows updates corrected
my problem. To explain, last night my pc crashed.
A problem with my printer had me deleting what I thought to be a printer
file, instead, and when I went to reboot, I was brought to my knees.......I
could no longer boot back up..........I had to reboot from my Windows cd,
then choose to install on the same partition. Thank goodness, I was able to
see all my files and folders, but there was no sign of the original
operating system.

I was able then to back up stragglers files and folders to my external hard
drive.............then set to work finding how to uninstall the second
Windows operating system. The windowsxp.general newsgroup was able to help
me here, so I was back up and running in no time with the exception of the
problem I posted here, which, thanks to your time and effort, has been
solved. My deepest gratitude and sincerest thanks.
Shirley

Old July 16th 06, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
§hirley

Busier then a snake in clean undies ))))

You're welcome, and your headers now make sense:

Guess you've been busy.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 16th 06, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
§hirley

Hi Frank; Perhaps now this message will show that I do......I had a mishap
with windows last night which upset a lot of things big time.......however,
thanks to the windwosxp general newsgroup, and Bruce Hagen, all is well
again. Thank you for looking in.
Shirley

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote in message
"§hirley" wrote in message
Hello;
I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Only when I click on a message in OE Newsgroups, does the Delete button
gray
out. Any help to correct this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Shirley

According to your message headers you do not have ANY service Pack for
WinXP. If you indeed had WinXP SP2 the Delete button on the keyboard would
work for news messages.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old July 16th 06, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"§hirley" wrote in message
Hello;
I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Only when I click on a message in OE Newsgroups, does the Delete button
gray
out. Any help to correct this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Shirley

According to your message headers you do not have ANY service Pack for
WinXP. If you indeed had WinXP SP2 the Delete button on the keyboard
would
work for news messages.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Please reply in newsgroup. Do NOT send email.

Yes, that's better.

Since you have SP2 I would also recommend this update:
There are two articles, KB918766 and KB918651, but the latter is not
currently available. The download link is

It places the backup in Recycled, overwriting any earlier backup of the
sane folder(s). To use it, copy it to the store folder, delete the one you
want to replace and then rename the BAK file to DBX. (It's a bit more
complicated if the messed up DBX file isn't there or contains messages that
are new that you want to keep.

Old July 16th 06, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
§hirley

"§hirley" wrote in message
[...]

I will definitely check this out Frank, and thank you most kindly for your
recommendations, it is most appreciated.
Shirley