New messages and bold text

Old July 1st 06, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
History Fan

Default New messages and bold text

I have a relative who is using Outlook Express 6 SP2. When new
emails arrive, OE highlights them in bold text. That is a quick way to know
which ones are new. Once a message is read, the bold font goes away. Yet
on his computer, new messages are not in bold. How can this be fixed?

Old July 1st 06, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken

Hi,

Will any new message display as bold.

To test, open Inbox, select message, choose Edit, on it's menu choose Mark
as Unread.

Ken

Old July 1st 06, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
History Fan

"Ken" wrote in message
Hi,

Will any new message display as bold.

To test, open Inbox, select message, choose Edit, on it's menu choose Mark
as Unread.

Ken

"History Fan" wrote in message
| I have a relative who is using Outlook Express 6 SP2. When new
| emails arrive, OE highlights them in bold text. That is a quick way to
know
| which ones are new. Once a message is read, the bold font goes away.
Yet
| on his computer, new messages are not in bold. How can this be fixed?

I was in control of his PC early this morning using Remote
Assistance. I sent him a couple of emails. They arrived fine, but were
not high-lighted. Haven't tried your suggestion yet.

Old July 1st 06, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Did you see this yourself? Is it possible that all message headers are
actually bold, read or unread, rather than all *not bold*? This has an
explanation.

This can happen if your desktop icon font is set to bold. Go to: Control
Panel | Display | Appearance | Advanced. In the Item box, scroll down to
Icon and click the *B* once to return the fonts to normal. Also, the font
size should be set to 8. (Mine are Tahoma - 8). OK and Apply.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 1st 06, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
History Fan

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Did you see this yourself? Is it possible that all message headers are
actually bold, read or unread, rather than all *not bold*? This has an
explanation.

This can happen if your desktop icon font is set to bold. Go to: Control
Panel | Display | Appearance | Advanced. In the Item box, scroll down to
Icon and click the *B* once to return the fonts to normal. Also, the font
size should be set to 8. (Mine are Tahoma - 8). OK and Apply.
--

My relative sent me an email early today complaining that his new
mail was not highlighted in bold text. I took over his PC via Remote

Old July 1st 06, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

[...]

My gut tells me it is something in the Appearance tab settings, but if
not.....

Is the word Inbox in the folder tree bold?

Next to the message header, is the envelope open, or closed?

Any rules such as:

For all messages

If nothing above pans out, may have a damaged identity especially if it is
the default Main Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new
one and test it. If all is well, you can import your messages from the old
identity and delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old July 1st 06, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
History Fan

Any rules such as:

For all messages

Next time I take over his PC, I'll check for that.

Old July 1st 06, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
History Fan

"History Fan" wrote in message
Any rules such as:

For all messages

Next time I take over his PC, I'll check for that.

I just checked his PC via Remote Assistance 5 minutes ago. He, or
somebody had created some weird mail rules. One of them was exactly as you
described above. I deleted them, and now new mail is in bold text again.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old July 2nd 06, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You're welcome, and thank you very much for posting back with the results.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express