OE Quick Backup

Old June 24th 06, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Walter Cohen

Default OE Quick Backup

I am going to install a new, bigger hard drive in my system and completely
re-install Windows XP. I need to backup my 2 identities in OE.
I installed the OE Quick Backup (even though the screen shows as "Outlook
Express Freebie Backup") and when I launch it it states only 1 identity to
backup. I thought it would do multiple identities.

I have 2 identities on the system and am wondering if there is any way to
backup both identities from my Admin identity or will I need to just run
another backup when I log into that other identity?

Also, does this backup do everything for me (including email folders, news
folders, message rules, blocked senders, even your current view settings.).
Based on what I am trying to do I really am looking for more than just a
plain backup solution as I need to transfer all my OE stuff to a new
computer (hard drive).

Thanks!
Walter

Old June 25th 06, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

You don't see a Complete Backup button on it?

If you have the Outlook Express Freebie Backup that has a lot more to it, I
would suggest you get the OEQB from http://www.oehelp.com. I no longer
support OEFB and don't have plans to do so anytime in the future. OEQB is
what is current "official" release. If you got it frm any other web site
other that OEHelp, you didn't get a official release. No other web sites are
allowed to have it available for download and will not be supported.

It backs up but it's not designed to be a reintaller for a new OS setup and
let me explain why.

When you set up XP, you create a user profile for it. Should you change that
profile on a new setup, the data used before won't be in the same place as
it was. No fault of OEQB, I didn't write Outlook Express or XP. XP sets up
things in Documents and Settings\Username and that part is what can be
changed by a new install and the old one won't know what the new one is so
it will store it where it was before and then the possibility exists that
you won't see it.

I would suggest you move the current message store to say something like
C:\Mail. That way when you do restore it, OE will know to look in C:\Mail
for the messages (news and mail) reguardless of what profile name is used.

Address Book will still have to be imported. Again the way XP is set up.

It backs up the complete Identities subkey meaning it gets all Identities.
It also get the Internet Account Manager subkey but not the passwords for
those account Thats stored in Protect Storage and there is no documentation
to that from Microsoft.

It gets all dbx files for all mail folders and news folders.

The Address Book subkey is backed up but for a new install of the OS, is not
practical to use because of the location of the WAB file.

A backup program is to use to backup the current data and restore it to the
same setup should a problem occur. That's all. Veritas and others do
similar, they can't anticipate that a user will set up a new OS and make
changes to it such as the user name. I don't know how many HP computers I've
worked on that the same profile name, Owner, is used. People reinstall
things and suddenly, Owner is no longer there and they can't figure out
what's happened.

Old June 25th 06, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Walter Cohen

Yes, I do see a complete backup button.
Also, I did get OEQB (oeqbfull.zip) from oehelp.com however, the dialog box
title says that it is Outlook Express Freebie Backup.

I also moved the current message store as you suggested to hang off the
root. I needed to do this for both identities though as the software said
it backed up only one identity. However, are you saying that even if I had
100 identities it would still only say that it backed up 1? What I did was
run the backup under my admin account identity, then I logged off admin and
logged into my user account and ran backup again to a different folder. Is
this not what I should have done?

So then all I need to do is backup to CD/DVD the message store and when I
load my new OS, configure OE to point to the new message store folder and I
should be good?

Thanks,
Walter

Old June 25th 06, 05:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Yes, I do see a complete backup button.
Also, I did get OEQB (oeqbfull.zip) from oehelp.com however, the dialog
box title says that it is Outlook Express Freebie Backup.

I also moved the current message store as you suggested to hang off the
root. I needed to do this for both identities though as the software said
it backed up only one identity. However, are you saying that even if I
had 100 identities it would still only say that it backed up 1? What I
did was run the backup under my admin account identity, then I logged off
admin and logged into my user account and ran backup again to a different
folder. Is this not what I should have done?

When I use OEQB on this machine, I see in the status bar, 2 Identities
backed up. I have two Identities on this user profile. On the other log in
profiles, I have 2 or more as well. I wouldhave to log in to those accounts
to backup the message stores and info for those.

I think you are confusing Identities with user profiles. Each user profile
can have multiple OE Identities.

OEQB doesn't back up other user profiles that it isn't currently logged
into, only the Identities of the profile that is currently logged into.

I do have the code to do this but not the time to implement. I won't mention
the revenue stream it produces, it's invisible.

So then all I need to do is backup to CD/DVD the message store and when I
load my new OS, configure OE to point to the new message store folder and
I should be good?

Backup the message stores for each user profile to a different folder.

Old June 26th 06, 12:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

open the Folders pane and right click on it from there.

View | Explorer Bar | Folders

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Right-clicking on [any] folder and clicking on "sharing & security" brings
up the folder's properties dialog with tabs of "general", "sharing", and
"customize". There is no security tab nor is there anywhere on any of the
three available tabs to show security/permissions.

Thanks,
Walter
"DGuess" wrote in message
Probably a permissions error on the store folder.

Right click on it then select Sharing and Security
Click on the Security tab and see who has permission to use it.
There should be Uses (Home\Users) with full control.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Frank -

It seems to have something to do with my XP user account called "Home".
I originally set XP up with both user accounts being an administrator.
I allocated the message store and got OE to work fine when it was an
administrator. When I changed the user account to be a limited account
(what I really want it to be) it stopped working. I just now changed it
back to administrator and it works. If I change it back to limited then
it fails.
So I need to research why this is happening for a limited XP user
account.

Might you know?

What I may try is allocate another folder in my Home account as a
limited user. Then restore/copy the original message store files into
this new folder and try it again. Perhaps the folder permissions are
locked down when in limited mode.

Thanks,
Walter
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" wrote in message
From http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/directdb.htm

Errors in DIRECTDB.DLL or MSOE.DLL generally indicate corruption in the
message store.
Start by moving Folders.dbx to an empty Windows folder (with OE
closed). Note: the DBX files are hidden in Win2K, WinXP and Win2K3.
You will lose your folder hierarchy and the lists of newsgroups on the
news servers, but it might get you into OE.

If that doesn't do it then move all of the DBX files to the same folder
as
Folders.dbx (again with OE closed). You should now get into OE. Try
importing the messages from
the folder you moved the DBX files to. If you can't, you can use this
tool
to extract the messages:

DBXtract ($5):
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/

Note: It can take a long time (days with really large folders).

The messages can then be dragged from the Windows folder back into a
folder
in an open instance of OE.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I managed to get everything working last night but this morning I am in
a bit of a bind.
Yes, I was referring to user profiles. I have two XP user accounts,
Home and User. Each account has one identity in OE.
I did copy each identities' message store to C: as a separate folder.
After installing a new hd and reloading XP I restored the message
stores and had OE point to those locations. Eveyrthing was ok last
night under both user accounts and each identity. However today when
I go into my Home account (non-admin, limited acct) OE comes up with
an error "OE could not be started. The application was unable to open
the OE message store. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk
is full". Here is the error code: 0x800C012E,5. After pressing OK on
that dialog box another comes up stating "OE could not be started
because MSOE.DLL could not be initialized".

Any ideas? It is only on my Home user account, my User user account
works fine.

Thanks,
Walter

Old June 26th 06, 12:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DGuess

I run XP Pro so that's one I didn't know you had to set to get it to show.

When you said you could access it from Admin Prov and not Limited, that
pretty well set it for a permission problem.

Glad you got it going. I have Coded OE Freebie Backup with the code to read
other user's Profiles but it's a manual selection that has to be done, I
have taken the time to sort out how to enumerate the user's profiles. If
things go okay later, I may put OEFB back online as it does do quite a bit
more than OEQB which was what people just seemed to want, the basics....

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
I needed to enable the security tab from within Control Panel/Folder
Options on my Administrators account (USER).
I was then able to 'see' the tab and changed the permissions for it to
'full'.
I can now launch OE from my limited HOME account.