Accessing old newsgroup messages?

Old June 12th 06, 11:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Default Accessing old newsgroup messages?

My Outlook Express 6 allows me to retrieve 600 more headers, but is there an archive of
newsgroup messages somewhere and a way to access it, or do they vanish permanently after
a certain period. If there is an archive can it be searched for a specific topic?

jc

Old June 12th 06, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"jbclem" wrote in message
My Outlook Express 6 allows me to retrieve 600 more headers, but is there
an archive of
newsgroup messages somewhere and a way to access it, or do they vanish
permanently after
a certain period. If there is an archive can it be searched for a
specific topic?

jc

Use the various entry boxes wisely!
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Old June 12th 06, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"jbclem" wrote in message
My Outlook Express 6 allows me to retrieve 600 more headers, but is there
an archive of
newsgroup messages somewhere and a way to access it, or do they vanish
permanently after
a certain period. If there is an archive can it be searched for a
specific topic?

jc

You can make OE give you all the messages that are on the server that you
use, by going to toolsoptionsread tab, & remove the checkmark from 'get
### headers.
Most servers keep messages for around 3 months, on some of the more active
groups this time lessens because of volume.
Use the Google archive link I gave you earlier to search groups, and the
web, by doing a group search then click on the web link at the top of the
page, you will see that you can also use it to search News, images, maps
etc.
Set up a free newsserver to the MS news groups using -
msnews.microsoft.com - as the server, toolsaccountsaddnews.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Old June 12th 06, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Vanguard

"jbclem" wrote in message
My Outlook Express 6 allows me to retrieve 600 more headers, but is
there an archive of
newsgroup messages somewhere and a way to access it, or do they vanish
permanently after
a certain period. If there is an archive can it be searched for a
specific topic?

If a post expires on the particular NNTP server to which you connect, OE
will synchronize and also eliminate that post (if ever downloaded) from
its cache. You might see something like "post no longer on server"
message if you still have the downloaded header for it.

If you want to use OE to archive old posts, you will need to export
them. Otherwise, use an NNTP server with longer retention times or use
Google Groups to search through the archive of old posts.

Old June 13th 06, 01:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"jbclem" wrote in message
news
Thanks Steve, Google groups was just what I was looking for.

jc

You are welcome, happy searching.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]

Old November 12th 06, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Hi Steve,

Don't know if you'll get this late reply, but thanks for the help!

jc

" mac" wrote in message

"jbclem" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup keith herbert Outlook Express 1 March 20th 06 03:25 PM
Opening Newsgroup Messages in Outlook Express Guy A. Thomas Outlook Express 4 March 13th 06 06:30 PM
Old Posts on This Newsgroup Marijana Govorcin Outlook Express 3 February 27th 06 03:20 AM
New newsgroup box stan Outlook Express 7 February 10th 06 05:03 PM
OEx : block News messages to more than one newsgroup ? Bill Woodruff Outlook - General Queries 1 January 28th 06 12:11 AM