I'm an iD10T, I know, but now I need to recover from it...

Old May 27th 06, 02:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
dirtycar74

Default I'm an iD10T, I know, but now I need to recover from it...

I know I'm an iD10T but that's neither here nor there... I was working late
the other night moving things around, making archives and deleting old stuff
and accidentally deleted the wrong logical drive; the one that housed my OE
store folders... Major OOOPS! Of course, now I can't even get OE6 to load
up so I can just start with a new store folder(s). I need help please -
where do I go from here? I don't think I can "un-delete" the logical drive,
but in case someone out there has a miracle, I haven't re-created a new
logical drive yet (left it unallocated for now in hopes it is some how
recoverable). I'm running XP Pro w/ SP2 and the latest updates. My machine
may be older, but it works darn it! I'd like to keep it that way, so only
serious replies please. Thanks!

Old May 27th 06, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

In your case, the only real option may be a 3rd party utility such as
DBXpress which can extract from disk, all messages on the hard drive that
have not been overwritten. Read about it at www.oehelp.com and decide if
the stored messages are worth the cost.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only.

Old May 27th 06, 08:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

[...]

To fix things so that OE will start:

Go to Start | Run and type
regedit
and press Enter.

In the left pane navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook Express\5.0
Where {GUID} is that big long number.

In the right pane right click on "Launch Inbox" and select Modify.
Change the one (1) to a zero (0).

Close Regedit and try OE.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."

Old May 27th 06, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
dirtycar74

It is already set to zero (0). That doesn't seem to be the right thing
either then... Sorry. Maybe I need to screen capture the error? would that
help?

Old May 27th 06, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
dirtycar74

Not sure if you fully understand the problem; I didn't delete the *.dbx
files, I deleted the DRIVE. Additionally, before I did this, I attempted to
move the OE strore folder to another location, hence why I thought it was
safe to delete the drive. Does this make a difference in your suggestion?

Old May 27th 06, 09:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Assuming you still have access to the "deleted" drive (or are you saying you
wiped out a partition on the drive), DBXpress can recover info from the old
drive, even after formatting the drive. It is the only inexpensive tool I'm
aware of that will do so. Read about it and decide:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

Old May 27th 06, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
dirtycar74

The first error I get ( a screen-capture is available for viewing at the
following URL) is:
http://tinyurl.com/rp2s4

After I click [OK], the following error comes up (again, screen capture
available for viewing at the URL below):
http://tinyurl.com/m5tm8

This additional information might be helpful, but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Old May 28th 06, 02:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

That error is consistent with a corrupt or missing message store folder.
Since you've already said you destroyed the folder where the messages were
stored, I'm not surprised. Try Frank Saunder's suggestion to delete the
affected registry key.

Old May 28th 06, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
antioch

Hello Frank
I think your clock/date is a out a bit :-o
28/05/2006 22:36
Antioch

Old May 28th 06, 12:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"antioch" wrote in message
Hello Frank
I think your clock/date is a out a bit :-o
28/05/2006 22:36
Antioch

Thanks. I just installed Vista on that machine a few days ago and didn't
notice that the date was wrong.