Discovered unfinished junkmail filter in OE6.

Old May 23rd 06, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Tweakradje

Default Discovered unfinished junkmail filter in OE6.

Hi,

After going through the OE6 Dll's I found dialogs for a Junkmail filter.
Hmmm..what is MS hiding for us? Well since OE5 there have seem to be a Junk
mail filter present (or unfinished). After doing some dubugging I found the
registry key that enabled the UI part of the Junk mail filter.

Here we go:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]
"bhgcc"=dword:00000001

After entering the registry value Outlook Express seems to be enriched with
a genuine SPAM/Junk mail filter. All the corresponding registry settings in
the HKCU part of OE's profile seem to work right. But the filter isn't.

So back the the debugging process. Then trying to place the file OEJUNK.DLL
and JUNKMAIL.LKO in the Outlook express directory (files from the windows 98
cdrom that are referenced in the MSOE.DLL. Trying Filemon and regmon but no
luck.

Question: is it realy unfinished work I stumbled on or can this filter work.
If not, will there be such a filter in OE7? Please?

PS: please make a message rule in OE that can filter on Header content ;O)

Cheers,

Tweakradje
The Netherlands

Old May 23rd 06, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

OEJUNK.DLL is an old, leftover file from OE5.0 in Win98SE. It never worked
in the first place and was dropped in OE5.01 and later.

There are no plans for an OE7.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old May 23rd 06, 11:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

The Junk Mail folder was removed from Outlook Express as a result of a suit
by Blue Mountain Arts who disagreed that their products were entitled to be
shuffled off to the Junk folder. Other reasonable people might disagree
with that assertion, but Microsoft abandoned the effort. Have to love those
"litigators" or did they misname the "alligators?" vbg

Junk E-Mail Filters Spawn a Suit Against Microsoft:
http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...law/19law.html
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old May 24th 06, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Next time you say you're suffering from CRS Syndrome, I'm gonna send you
this reply! eg

Institutional knowledge is a good thing.

Old May 30th 06, 06:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

"Myriam Traiki" mimi com in
:

"Jim Pickering" a écrit dans le message de news:
The Junk Mail folder was removed from Outlook Express as a result of
a suit by Blue Mountain Arts who disagreed that their products were
entitled to be shuffled off to the Junk folder. Other reasonable
people might disagree with that assertion, but Microsoft abandoned
the effort. Have to love those "litigators" or did they misname the
"alligators?" vbg

Junk E-Mail Filters Spawn a Suit Against Microsoft:
http://partners.nytimes.com/library/...law/19law.html

i didn't read above link, but it may contain the reason why ms wouldn't now revive the
junkmail feature. i haven't heard of anyone suing regarding spamfilter in tbird, nor suing any
of the antispam software makers.

speaking of that, k9 is small, and works well with oe. the main drawback is that k9 doesn't
deal with imap (a drwaback if you use imap).
keir.net/k9.html

-- Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express

"Tweakradje" wrote in message

snip

After entering the registry value Outlook Express seems to be
enriched with a genuine SPAM/Junk mail filter. All the
corresponding registry settings in the HKCU part of OE's profile
seem to work right. But the filter isn't.

snip

Question: is it realy unfinished work I stumbled on or can this
filter work. If not, will there be such a filter in OE7? Please?

PS: please make a message rule in OE that can filter on Header
content ;O)

could post that request at ie7 blog?
http://www.google.com/search?q=ie7+b...+%7C+wish-list
or wishlist newsgroup?
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlooke xpress.wishlist
Old May 30th 06, 09:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/WM

wrote in message ...
"Myriam Traiki" mimi com in
:

[...]

Windows Mail, the replacement for OE in Vista, has a junk mail filter that
works fairly well once it is "educated".

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/WM
Please reply in newsgroup.