OE Spontaneously closes

Old April 20th 06, 01:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
msaltz

Default OE Spontaneously closes

I have a new Windows XP computer. When I get a message in OE6 and try to do
anything with it - delete it, for example - OE closes spontaneously. It
doesn't matter if I try to do it with the delete key, with the delete button
in OE or Ctl-d on the keyboard. Any suggestions?
Old April 20th 06, 02:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi msaltz,

There could be corruption in the OE message store folder. The top suspect
would be the Deleted Items.dbx file, but may include the Inbox.dbx or
Folders.dbx (master indexing) files. The easiest place to start would be to
delete the Deleted Items.dbx file. Any messages in the folder will be lost.
This folder will be re-created when OE starts.

Close OE before deleting any of the message store files. Default folders
will be re-created if deleted when OE starts.

If the problem persist you could try deleting the Inbox.dbx and Folders.dbx
files.

Move messages to be saved in the Inbox to another (user created) OE folder.
Note: Deleting the Folders.dbx file will effect the folder hierarchy and the
list of subscribed newsgroups (if any) will be lost.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old April 20th 06, 03:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
msaltz

This doesn't do it. I deleted all the message and all the folders. The
original folders were recreated but I get a Microsoft Visual C++ Debug
Library message saying Debug Error!" The program indicated is "msimn.exe",
which is the main OE program, right? So does that mean that OE itself is
corrupt? And if so, how do I fix that?

Old April 20th 06, 03:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi msaltz,

I don't know what caused this issue. It may have been introduced by another
program installed on the PC or a bug. There is a Microsoft KB article that
covers a repair/reinstall of OE, but I would allow time for another reply by
someone who may be familiar with this problem.

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old April 21st 06, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
msaltz

I still don't know what caused the problem but it seems to have been fixed
after a call to Dell On Call. The solution was really quite simple: Run
System Restore. That seems to have taken care of the problem quite nicely.
Hopefully its a permanent solution.

By the way, I did a system scan for viruses, etc. and there was nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Old April 21st 06, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Thank you for your feedback! It would be nice to know more about this issue.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old April 21st 06, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
msaltz

True. But it also a good reminder that its useful to create System Restore
points once in a while, particularly after you've made changes to the system.
And, of course, to remember that they are a useful tool.

Old April 22nd 06, 12:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
msaltz

Good point. I didn't mention it because I had tried some other things earlier
and was willing to erase all of them but only because this is a new computer
and there wasn't much on it. But Thanks for pointing it out.