X-Unsent does not work anymore for OE messages with KB911567 installed

Old April 15th 06, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Richard Eagle

Default X-Unsent does not work anymore for OE messages with KB911567 installed

Running XP Pro with SP2 & IE6/OE6 here. Installed all of the new updates the
other day. In fact have all updates installed. Everything still seems to
work fine after most recent updates except for one thing now:

Now if I edit (in notepad for example) the source of an .eml or .nws file
that is in a folder outside of OE6, and add X-Unsent: 1 to the source and
then save it in that same folder, I cannot then send the message to the OE
outbox, and also I can not see the editing tabs at the bottom of the message
window. For many years prior to the KB911567 update, adding X-Unsent: 1
to the source had always worked (since OE4 I think).

The editing tabs (Edit/Source/Preview) still work with messages inside of
Outlook Express, but not in a message in a folder outside of OE. You can
forward the message that's in the folder outside of OE and then see the
tabs, but that's of no use if you want to post a Rich Text format (HTML)
message (like an OE stationery post) to a stationery newsgroup.

What makes this a bigger problem is that for the last year or so, I have
been using a program that I wrote in VB6 to embed EOTs and SWF (Flash) files
in any OE stationery directly (without having to use the Active Movie
Control to use AMC to BGSOUND embedding). In addition to doing the
embedding, the program adds X-Unsent: 1 to the source. Now when the program
pops up the .eml or .nws message after the program does the embedding, I can
no longer click the send button in the OE message window to send the email
or post to the outbox because the send button is no longer there because of
KB911567 disabling X-Unsent: 1. To say that this is annoying is an
understatement.

Maybe MS did not consider the use of X-Unsent when creating this update? I
don't know how (or if) X-Unsent relates to the WAB vulnerability. A lot of
people in the OE stationery world have used X-Unsent for a very long time
and it seems that KB911567 kills it. Question: Is there anything that I can
do short of uninstalling KB911567 so that I can use the EOT/SWF embedding
program again? I like to have all Windows updates installed so you can see
my dilemma. Also, if MS is made aware of this problem, is there any chance
they will fix it so that X-Unsent will function again?

Thanks,
Richard

Old April 15th 06, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

MS is *NOW* aware of the problem since we've been hammering on them for the
past 2 days. The vague responses have been along the lines of "this was a
security problem" etc., with no advice on when, or if, they intend to fix
it.

FWIW, most MVPs would recommend you uninstall the KB911567 patch until such
time as some other remedy is available. The update should show in Control
Panel under Add/Remove Programs and if running XP, you need to make sure
there is a checkmark in the box at the top of that page to "Show Installed
Updates."

Check in these newsgroups every few days and if further info is forthcoming
from Redmond, it will be posted here.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old April 15th 06, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Richard Eagle

Many thanks for your reply, Jim. I'm glad to hear that MVPs who also
understand about Outlook Express stationery are aware of this and are making
their voices heard to those in a position to fix it. Please keep hammering
on them to restore X-Unsent.

Yes, I do see KB911567 in Add/Remove Programs and will uninstall it soon
and hope for a good resolution to this.

I will check back here periodically to see if there is any new info or
progress on this. It's not only the program that I described but also
another OE stationery program in the works that also uses X-Unsent, plus of
course I'm using Microsoft Visual Basic 6, that makes the situation all the
more annoying.

Regards,
Richard

Old April 15th 06, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Microsoft has been informed of the problem. I have not heard of any
anticipated fix yet.

I don't think the disabling of the X-Unsent was intentional. (I hope
not).

In addition to the WAB security issue, the OE team was taking the
opportunity for some other fixes. So in fixing one thing they may have
accidentally broken the X-Unsent.

Old April 15th 06, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Richard Eagle

Thanks for your reply, Michael. I suspect that you're probably right about
the disabling of X-Unsent not being intentional. I just hope that they can
be convinced to restore it. Since my reply to Jim, I uninstalled the
KB911567 update and now X-Unsent (and also the embedding program)
works once again.

Regards,
Richard

Old April 19th 06, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gerry

Just to add another voice from the wilderness, this refusal to read the
x-unsent line is adding hundreds of hours to the work of my customer support
staff. We keep a network folder full of email templates, stored as EML
files. There's a stock email message for just about every possible occasion.

Before this week, the staff simply double-clicked the message they wanted to
send, added an email address and away they went. Now the double-clicked
messages are uneditable. We briefly toyed with the idea of opening the
message and doing a copy/paste into a new window. Too cumbersome. Then we
tried forwarding the message and simple deleting the top part of the new
message to clean it up. Too much editing and people will forget to do it.

Best Solution: Remove update KB911567 completely and disable future
auto-updates in the entire company until this thing is fixed properly. Since
MS has documented this change, it certainly wasn't an accidental byproduct
of another fix, as some people have suggested. Come on MS, do it right.

Fix the cause of the problem.
Don't cause problems that need fixes.

Ha! I just made that up.
--
Best Regards,
Gerry

Old April 20th 06, 11:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

"Gerry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the feedback. You can send more to MS directly via this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/common...owpage=1&ws=ie

It will probably go into a black hole, but its worth a shot.

And no, you didn't just make that up. That's the mantra for OE, it seems.

steve

--
Best Regards,
Gerry

Old April 20th 06, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gerry

Thanks for the link Steve. Message sent. Probably lost. :-) I can't help but
notice how many other people in this forum are posting messages with related
problems. This is a seriously huge error.

--
Best Regards,
Gerry Routledge

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message

Thanks for the feedback. You can send more to MS directly via this link:

https://support.microsoft.com/common...owpage=1&ws=ie

It will probably go into a black hole, but its worth a shot.

And no, you didn't just make that up. That's the mantra for OE, it seems.

steve

.. .

Old April 20th 06, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Richard Eagle

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message

"Gerry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks much for the link, Steve. I'll complain to MS through the link also.

Regards,
Richard

--
Best Regards,
Gerry

Old April 20th 06, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Richard Eagle

Gerry, I'm very sympathetic to your situation and if it means hundreds of
extra hours for your customer support staff, then that's probably thousands
of extra dollars of cost. That's terrible, and I hope that MS will fix this
and restore xunsent while at the same time allowing us to install all
security updates.

The problem that the update causes for which there doesn't seem to be any
workaround is that if you hit 'reply to sender', 'reply to all' or 'forward'
with .eml messages or 'reply to group' with .nws messages that are in a
folder outside of OE, the References are deleted from the message source.

With a newsgroup reply, if the message is a second level (a reply to a Re
or higher reply, the reply won't end up nested in the right place in the
thread when you view messages with 'Group Messages by Conversation' if
the Reference is not in the message source. This will occur if the message
has been dragged from OE into a folder outside of OE to embed EOTs/SWFs
with a program, etc. and then sent back to the OE outbox after opening and
having to hit 'reply to group' instead of 'send' only because xunsent has
been disabled by the update.

First level replies should end up in the right place without the Reference
being in the source as long as there's not an earlier thread with the same
subject line.

The deleted Reference matters to me since I use my program (almost daily) to
embed EOTs and/or SWFs in 'OE Stationery' HTML newsgroup messages,
which are sometimes a 2nd or higher level reply. I drag the message from OE
drafts into a folder outside of OE and drag 'n drop the message on the
progran icon and the program does the embedding and the message is ready to
post. The program is now useless for 2nd or higher level replies if KB911567
is installed because it disables xunsent.

If anyone knows how to keep the References in the message source when
forwarding or replying to an .eml or .nws file that is opened from a folder
outside of OE, please let me know. As far as I know, it's not possible.

Anyway, I've uninstalled the update for now, but uninstalling a security
update is not an ideal solution to this problem.

Regards,
Richard

.. .