Can't Import/Export AddressBook??? Grayed out options.

Old April 12th 06, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Thomas G. Marshall

Default Can't Import/Export AddressBook??? Grayed out options.

When I go to export my address book from either Outlook2000 or OE6, both the options "import" and "export" are grayed out.

I don't understand this. Is there an option that needs to be turned on?

Thanks in advance!!!

--
"I don't want FOP, God dammit! I'm a DAPPER DAN MAN!"

Old April 12th 06, 03:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

When I go to export my address book from either Outlook2000 or OE6, both
the options "import" and "export" are grayed out.

I don't understand this. Is there an option that needs to be turned on?

Thanks in advance!!!

Close the address book. Go to File/Export of OE and do it from there.

Alias
Old April 12th 06, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

When I go to export my address book from either Outlook2000 or OE6, both the
options "import" and "export" are grayed out.

I don't understand this. Is there an option that needs to be turned on?

Thanks in advance!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268579
"OLEXP: Import and Export Menu Items Are Unavailable in the Address Book".
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268578
"OL2000: (IMO) Import and Export Menu Items Are Unavailable in the Address
Book".

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional

Old April 12th 06, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Thomas G. Marshall

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] said something like:
"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

When I go to export my address book from either Outlook2000 or OE6, both
the
options "import" and "export" are grayed out.

I don't understand this. Is there an option that needs to be turned on?

Thanks in advance!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268579
"OLEXP: Import and Export Menu Items Are Unavailable in the Address Book".
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268578
"OL2000: (IMO) Import and Export Menu Items Are Unavailable in the Address
Book".

Thanks:

1. The OLEXP resolution report lists

.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 Service Pack 2
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 Service Pack 1
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 Service Pack 2

....mine is version 6. Was this "fixed" in version 6?

2. The OL2000 is appropriate. If I do configure the wab to not share
contact information, does this mean that I cannot add to it from, say, OE,
and see the results in OL, and vice versa?

TIA

--
With knowledge comes sorrow.

Old April 12th 06, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:

[...]

No.

2. The OL2000 is appropriate. If I do configure the wab to not share
contact information, does this mean that I cannot add to it from, say, OE,
and see the results in OL, and vice versa?

Yes.

See also:
http://groups.google.it/group/micros...+questo+gruppo
Short link: http://snipurl.com/p3h2

TIA

Cheers,

Old April 12th 06, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

And... http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm#share

--
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups

Old April 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

[...]
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268579
"OLEXP: Import and Export Menu Items Are Unavailable in the Address

[...]
Thanks:

1. The OLEXP resolution report lists

.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 Service Pack 2
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 Service Pack 1
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0
.Microsoft Outlook Express 5.01 Service Pack 2

...mine is version 6. Was this "fixed" in version 6?

No.

In OE6 there is'nt the option "Do not share contact information among
Microsoft Outlook and other applications".
[...]

Old April 12th 06, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

"Earlier versions of Address Book gave you the option of using your
Microsoft Outlook Contacts folder in Outlook Express. If you accepted this
option, Address Book became a front end to Outlook, visible in Outlook
Express and any other applications that used Address Book. Contacts added
via Outlook thus became accessible to Outlook Express, and contacts added to
Address Book by means of Outlook Express options (such as Outlook Express’s
option to add the names of people you reply to via e-mail) became usable in
Outlook.

This integration with Outlook is still available in Address Book 6 (the
version shipped with Windows XP), but only via an undocumented registry
edit. To share contact information between Outlook and Address Book, open
Registry Editor, and go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4. Add the DWORD
value UseOutlook to this key (if it isn’t already present), and set it to 1.
To return to the unintegrated state, return to this registry value and
either delete it or set it to 0.

The tradeoff for integration between Outlook and Address Book is that it
precludes your using identities in Address Book. If you are using Outlook
integration and you display the Folders And Groups pane in Address Book, you
see the subfolders of your Outlook Contacts folder instead of your shared
contacts and personal contacts. "

Quoted from:
Microsoft WindowsXP/Inside Out
Microsoft Press by Ed Bott and Carl Siechert
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

"Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" wrote in message
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP] wrote:

[...]

Old April 12th 06, 09:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Do you have this Registry key?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
\Software
\Microsoft
\WAB
\WAB4

If not, STOP; If so, is there a DWORD named UseOutlook (NB: no space) and is
its value set to 1 (one)?

If not, STOP; If so, Address Book is configured to share contacts with
Outlook, even if you don't use it (can happen with the install of Office).
Change the value to 0 (zero), Address Book should be available to you and
all should be well. (If that DWORD is not present, don't create it, and
don't alter any other DWORD values.)

Note that any changes (additions, deletions, edits) made while sharing was
enabled will not be available (displayed) in Address Book when sharing is
disabled.

cf. http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm#share
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191946
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org