Opening .pps files

Old April 9th 06, 10:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Marty

Default Opening .pps files

I just got XP about six months ago. I think PPS was not one of the file
types listed under Folder Options, but PPT was. So I added a PPS type and
told it to open with the Power Point viewer.

When I get an e-mail with a .pps attachment, it won't open when I
double-click on the attachment line. I get the "Unknown file type", "No
program associated with this type of file, etc." However, if I save the
attachment, it will open from Windows Explorer.

So why won't it open by double-clicking on the e-mail attachment line?

Old April 9th 06, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi Marty,

This is a fairly common issue. Information at the linked page should provide
the answer.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old April 11th 06, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Marty

Thanks Tim. I followed instructions from the linked page to fix it manually.
Unfortunately, it didn't work. I went back to the box where I typed the
stuff per the instructions and noticed that where I typed "Open" it showed
"&print." Also, the program name that was typed was changed slightly. So I
don't know what is going on.

But thanks again for pointing me to that page.

Old April 11th 06, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

So are you still having a problem, or did you eventually get it to work?

If you still have a problem, go to the end of this section:
Identifying Attachment File Types and Setting File Associations section
of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_san...e.htm#identify

There's a utility there you can download that will let you capture the
file associations information for PPS files. Attach that file here (or
e-mail it to me) and we'll take a look at it to see what might be wrong.

Old April 12th 06, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Marty

Thank you Michael, but I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking me
to download and what file to attach. Please don't go to a lot of trouble, as
this is not a big problem.

Old April 12th 06, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Mike is suggesting you download the file (FileExtInfo) at this link:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fileextinfo.htm

Then run the file and get the information about PPS files and attach it to
an email to him. See the attached graphic for what the program interface
looks like.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old April 13th 06, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Marty

Micheal, is this what you wanted to see? When this opened up in Notepad, I
tried to save it, but nothing happened, so I just did this copy and paste.

FileExtInfo v1.0 - Log file
4/13/2006 11:57:24 AM

Complete File association information for --- .PPS
Useful for troubleshooting File association and other problems
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.PPS]
@="pps_auto_file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pps_auto_file]
@=""
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pps_auto_file\shell]
@="Show"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pps_auto_file\shell\Print]
@="&Print"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pps_auto_file\shell\Print\comman d]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\PowerPoint Viewer\\pptview.exe /p
\"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pps_auto_file\shell\Show]
@="&Show"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pps_auto_file\shell\Show\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\PowerPoint Viewer\\pptview.exe
\"%1\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.PPS]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.PPS\OpenWithList]
"a"="pptview.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.PPS\OpenWithProgids]
"ft000002"=hex(0):
"pps_auto_file"=hex(0):

Old April 14th 06, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Yes, that's what I wanted to see.

What you are missing is the OPEN command. The PowerPoint viewer set up
a SHOW command as the default. You need to add an OPEN command to make
OE happy.

I've attached a file which should fix that for you.

Save the file, then rename to a REG file (e.g. PPS-Fix.reg). Then
double click the file. It will add the registry entry for you.

Note that this file is specific for your PC. It might not work for
others, depending on where things are installed.

Old April 14th 06, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Marty

That did the trick. Thank you Michael, and also to Tim and Jim. The fact
that you guys take the time and effort to help us computer-challenged folks
is much appreciated!!