shimmering/vibrating circle selecting identity

Old April 5th 06, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John L

Default shimmering/vibrating circle selecting identity

(This is a transfer of problem email from
Microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlooke xpress newsgroup to
Microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress newsgroup)

Greetings: Hopefully I can express this strange problem I have attempting to
change, modify or access an OE 6 identity. I have set up an identity for my
grand daughter to teach her email and OE. When attempting to select an
identity to switch to I receive a "shimmering"/vibrating circle 2 inches in
diameter around the mouse pointer.. The mouse arrow will point to another
identity (of a list of 5) and when I reselect the identity I want it will
point to another identity. This occurs for about 15 seconds and then stops
where I can select the identity I want. I suspect a prank virus but ... I
use OE 6, Windows XP with all critical updates, MS malware and have current
virus protection. Thanks for your forthcoming assistance. John L.

Old April 5th 06, 01:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mac

"John L" wrote in message
[...]

Are you using a wireless mouse on a laptop? Press the Ctrl key, do you see
the circle around the mouse?
Do you have other wireless devices nearby such as phones, or a microwave
etc, if so move them.

Old April 5th 06, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John L

Mac: I don't have a wireless mouse or network (yet). I have a cell phone,
moved it and still problem. This problem is about 3 or 4 months old but have
the same pc for 4 years (time for a change). Thanks for your input - John
L.

Old April 5th 06, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Look in Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs for a program called "Motive Smart
Bridge"and uninstall it. It's put on your computer by some ISPs to assist
them with connection difficulties and often causes the problem you're
having. It's not really needed, except by an ISP, and they have other
diagnostic tools that work better. Just kill the program and be done with
it.

If you can't find it, then post back.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old April 5th 06, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

There is no 'microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlook express'
newsgroup on the MS newsserver, which is probably why your post(s) there
haven't gotten any attention. w

What JimP said.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old April 5th 06, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John L

How exciting - the problem has been fixed - something I thought was a virus
or difficult to correct.
I am aware of "Motive Smart Bridge" - The program was not in Control Panel
or Add Remove Programs but it was in my startup files and I removed it
(unchecked it) after running msconfig and voila - no shimmering circle. I
have seen references to"Motive Smart
Bridge" before from Verizon - my ISP. Thanks Jim - good job.

Old April 6th 06, 10:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"PA Bear" wrote in message

There is no 'microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.outlook express'
newsgroup on the MS newsserver, which is probably why your post(s)
there haven't gotten any attention. w

There is on some other news servers. The fact that MS dropped it doesn't
particularly impress a lot of servers.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE
"Anyone who prefers security over freedom deserves neither."